Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass with RS66LD

BassAdder60

Got them on my CS 64 Jazz. Current band is about 80% fingers 20% pick and they sound great. With the pick I tend to palm mute them for a soul/60's tic-tac vibe, almost a flat wound tone like that, especially with a bit of compression. 

I've also played them 'wide open' if you like with a pick in punk and rock bands, again they sound great - really snarly

Edited by NAS Bass
Added text

These were one of the first roundwood strings weren't they? I remember trying a set donkeys years ago when I started playing bass.

I recall they were the roughest feeling most abrasive string I've ever played leaving your finger tips sore after a few minutes of playing.

I guess they've improved them over the years.

4 minutes ago, Martin E said:

Nope, you can still cut cows horns with them...

But when they are broken in, they won't cut your fingers anymore and sound lovely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep they are rougher than Nickel or Nickel Plated but in time this reduces and your fingers toughen more !

I like the extra sense of grip when you pluck with fingerstyle as it seems to speed up the note attack ?? !! 

Regarding pick … used it but then flipped back to fingers and I preferred the result. 

Good match of strings to bass I think 

14 hours ago, Martin E said:

These were one of the first roundwood strings weren't they? I remember trying a set donkeys years ago when I started playing bass.

I recall they were the roughest feeling most abrasive string I've ever played leaving your finger tips sore after a few minutes of playing.

Weren't The Who involved in their development? Or was that Marshall amps? Or both?

When I started playing, that’s all there was available, Rotos. I really dislike them. Very rough and uncomfortable on the fingers. As a player who now mostly uses flats, they’re the work of the devil.

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

When I started playing, that’s all there was available, Rotos. I really dislike them. Very rough and uncomfortable on the fingers. As a player who now mostly uses flats, they’re the work of the devil.

I agree, when first try them it’s a shock to how rough they feel however that tends to lessen over time and of course over time they lose their zing 

But there are many Pros who still choose to use them so they must be decent enough. 

At the moment I like them and tempted to try some or my Elites S/S on my PBass