Why become a member? ×

guitar-auctions.co.uk - any experience?

Mickeyboro

I’ve been to lots of the auctions. They’re nice guys, the sales reach a large audience and almost all items sell. 

However, you’ll pay a decent commission (25% I think). While you can set a reserved auctioneers will push for a sale.

Vintage stuff there is difficult. You have to take their word for the condition of stuff and you’re not able to inspect things as you would in a private sale. Of course, if it turns out to be fake or misrepresented, you can make the cash back.

Personally, I’d exhaust all other options before selling there. It mostly seems to be full of fairly average collections and a few high ticket items. 

I’ve bought through GH a couple of times and done very well. I buy regularly from auction houses: cars, furniture, art etc.

I’d be less inclined to sell there as although the sellers fee is 15%+vat, there is also a buyers fee of 22%+vat, so by the time you add vat, the difference between the amount the buyer pays and the amount the seller receives is 35% (the total price paid by the buyer is 126.4% of the hammer price. Seller receives 82% of the hammer price. The difference in % is 44.4 divided by 126.4 X 100=35)

As a buyer, it’s not my concern what the seller receives - I just calculate my 26.4% of the hammer price and decide what my maximum bid will be.

As a seller, knowing I have only received 64.9% of what the buyer has paid doesn’t sound like a brilliant deal, although I acknowledge the auction company has a business model and has to make their profit.

I don’t think the charge is fundamentally unreasonable, but when selling, I generally prefer to sell on consignment with a good dealer like Bass Gallery or ATB where the cost is 15% including vat. This has produced excellent results for instruments priced between £300 and £7000. Usually with a minimal wait and always with minimal hassle.

just my 2p worth (1.3p after commission)

• Like 2