Why become a member? ×

Mac for Bass

metalmaniac

I hate banging my drum...but I teach sound recording at a college in Glasgow - I am no expert though - and have used many of the standard packages out there and have to say that pro tools is the most powerful, in the way it records and edits sound (the engine or daw is phenomenal) that I cant find anything out there quite like it or even close to it...is sooo flexible and is only limited to the power of your machine...incredibly stable on a mac but a little fussy about hardware on a pc!

Edited by andy67

Lonestar- I input my bass through a pedal (tuner) to boost the input (mac mini's need an external preamp) then through the 1/8th inch input... no latency at all.. sounds pretty good too which just goes to show the versatility of macs these days

although I am looking at buying a proper usb input.
Just dont know which yet..
And also lookin at proper software... but still dont know which

If you're planning to use your Mac for recording other than just as an ideas notepad and you think you might ever be recording more than two tracks at once, then I'd recommend going for an interface that connects via FireWire rather than USB. Macs work much better with FW interfaces once you beyond 2 track/stereo I/O. USB puts extra overheads on the processor and while modern computers have plenty of power these days audio recording and manipulation is one of those things where your Mac can never be too powerful!

As for software Garageband may well do everything you need, but if you grow out of it have a look at either Logic or Performer and pick the one you find suits your way of working. I can't really recommend ProTools unless you're going for a serious system (see my earlier comments), but if you do think you'll eventually end up with an HD system then one of the lower priced versions can be a good entry point.

I'm not a Mac user at all, but I do know that the new Rush album is excellent, and was recorded on Mac(s) with Logic Audio. (Except for one clumsy master edit during "We Hold On" :) ).

What I currently have on the PC is Tracktion 2, which is by a small company but distributed by Mackie. It has [i]no[/i] dialog boxes at all: apart from configuration, everything is done from a single screen with a logical layout. Most of the power of e.g. Cakewalk Sonar, but costs a lot less.

Edited by bnt

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='50397' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:23 PM']Lwhen it's replaced I'll go for a FireWire box, something like a Focusrite Saffire.[/quote]
Good choice. As far as I am concerned, the Focusrite preamps in their saffire stuff blow away the Digidesign hardware. Pity it means you can't use ProTools (since Digidesign are bastards), but you can still use Logic/cubase etc at least.

I use a macbook at the moment, only got it 2 days ago.

Once I get the money (probably next summer, lol, I'm just becoming a student haha) I'm planning on buying the saffire PRO 10 I/O and Logic Express. And then hopefully more stuff along the way!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='50638' date='Aug 25 2007, 05:52 PM']It used to be that when you bought ProTools you were buying into a standardised software/hardware system where all the component parts were made by the same company and were designed to work together.

Now there's a variety of different versions of ProTools and a choice of "compatible" hardware from manufacturers who are not Digidesign. While this puts the platform within the reach of those without big recording studio type budgets, it does add in a whole load of extra variables that can make the system less than ideal.[/quote]
Hold on, ignore parts of my above post.

They now make a version of ProTools that allows you to use other hardware?

I looked on the Digidesign site a while ago, but I got the impression that they still only allowed use of Mbox etc hardware.
:)
I;m somewhat of a recording novice, though, so if you could give me some info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='King of Loss' post='51063' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:37 PM']They now make a version of ProTools that allows you to use other hardware?[/quote]

Yes, but many of the cheaper options from different makers come with Pro Tools M-Powered - which is a slightly stripped down version of the software. Better off sticking with something made by Digidesign IMO, and getting Pro Tools LE, unless you have the monet for Pro Tools HD.

Check the Digidesign website for more information: [url="http://www.digidesign.com/"]http://www.digidesign.com/[/url]

I use a macbook pro and Garageband for recording. Ridiculously easy to use! Drumbeats straight to hand for practice as well. When I 'play along' to iTunes stuff, I just plug into the laptop input with a cheap 'Monster' cable which only cost about £10.

Processing: I got Guitar rig 2 recently, so whatever instrument I choose to play, it goes through that for processing now. With my laptop and a bunch of instruments I'm happy as larry for hours!

I use the USB out of my POD xt live into Garageband, and I make simple beats with Reason. Easy as pie!

The only problem I have with garageband is that when I plug the POD in, it defaults to using that as both audio Input (what I want) and Output (which I don't because it causes all sorts of horrendous feedback). Easy as pie, though, and I can record anything that can be plugged into the POD (bass, mic, Nintendo DS etc etc etc)

[quote name='King of Loss' post='51063' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:37 PM']Hold on, ignore parts of my above post.

They now make a version of ProTools that allows you to use other hardware?

I looked on the Digidesign site a while ago, but I got the impression that they still only allowed use of Mbox etc hardware.
:)
I;m somewhat of a recording novice, though, so if you could give me some info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

M-audio make some hardware that can be used with protools. I bought an M-audio Fast track Pro audio interface because I only really intend on using Logic Pro but if I decide to start using Pro Tools, I'm sorted for that too.

www.m-audio.com/

Well this should prbably be moved to recording now... just the way the thread has moved
im currently lookin for a usb or firewire sound input 2 in 2 out all i need really (although 4 in would be nice) at around the 100 pound mark.
Im usin intel mac.. so can anyone recommend anything seeing as its damn near impossible to work out which interfaces work on intel macs.

Thanks

I use a fairly old setup, Dual 450 G4 running Protools Le via a Digi001 whith a baby HUI controller.

Been using it for years and will regret upgrading but it's just not upto modern softsynths and plugins.

As a recording environment it is rock solid, as reliable as my Yamaha AW2816 and that is saying something :)