Why become a member? ×

Powering a tuner pedal

JSbass

Until recently I've used a clip-on type tuner, but have now bought a Chord CPT-01 tuner pedal, and am working out the best way to power it. It can take a standard 9v battery but also has a mains adapter input. As I don't plan to use any other effects pedals, I'm hoping a simple 9v battery, either alkaline or Li-ion rechargeable will suffice, avoiding the complications of an external supply.

I've noticed that the tuner, with no battery or external power supply connected, still allows the signal from bass to amp to pass through perfectly when the pedal's foot switch is set to the off position (tuner function not operating). So am I right in assuming that when a 9v battery is installed, power is only drawn when the foot switch is set to on (tuner function operating), or will the tuner draw power from the battery irrespective of the switch setting, just because an instrument cable is plugged in?

The tuner's user manual advises to unplug the instrument cable to avoid unnecessary power consumption, which suggests power is being drawn continuously. I'm hoping that's not the case, and that a simple 9v battery can provide all the power needed for the occasional brief silent tune-up between songs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

6 hours ago, JSbass said:

I've noticed that the tuner, with no battery or external power supply connected, still allows the signal from bass to amp to pass through perfectly when the pedal's foot switch is set to the off position ...

Often described as "true bypass" and sometimes it is. 

As Jean-Luc says, there will be a current draw when you have an instrument cable plugged in even if the tuner is not being used, but that draw will be tiny.

I'ver used these battery-powered tuners for many years. A single (new) battery will normally last well over a year, even with extensive use. In fact, the battery life is so good that several of these tuner designs incorporate a 9V OUT to allow the battery in the tuner pedal to power another, non-battery pedal such as a fuzz or distortion, using a short fly-lead.

As people before me has already said a tuner usually won't draw much current, so should last a very long time with just a battery.

Just be aware that it will draw power from the battery as soon as a jack plug is plugged into the input jack socket of the tuner, regardless if it is engaged or not, so if choosing to power it with a battery remember to unplug it when not in use.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I use a USB PowerBank which is rechargeable and a Ripcord USB to 9V cable. 

https://myvolts.com/Ripcord

I'm not using the PP3 or AA or AAA batteries. A PowerBank runs my GK Plex DI. Which means that I don't have any powerstrip, mains  etc. out at the front to my position. I have also used the same approach for my wired IEM set up with the LD Systems headphone amp with a smaller PowerBank and Ripcord  cable to power the headphone amp. The same approach will work for a "pedal board" style tuner. 

I like this approach, especially with any outdoor gigs, as no mains electricity gets anywhere close to me.

Edited by vsmith1
  • Like 1