Why become a member? ×

The lessons paid off!

Staggering on

I finally took the advice everyone is given and started DB lessons, of course I should have done that in 2015 when I went upright.

After weekly lessons since last October I actually got to play my first orchestra gig on Saturday and I am still just floating...what an experience, and it was only being one of several adults filling out the low end of a youth orchestra. I loved it! 😊

Over the years I have played in many groups including large concert bands but never just strings and this is THE BEST.

I posted details and photos in the "How Was Your Gig Last Night?" thread in the General Discussion forum.

Main point: take the lessons they will improve your playing and you never know where it might lead.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 10

There is really something about being in a row of basses and thumping it out together. That's some fast learning curve you've been on! Glad you're enjoying it!

Just back from my own orchestra practice and spent most of the evening counting rests; whilst violins and woodwind screeched through their difficult bits.  So looking forward to a jazz session on Wednesday. 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing in a 6 piece swing band with a residency (on bass guitar) in 1990 and the band leader told me I had to get a double bass. I did, but then he said I have to play it live the next weekend! I did, and I was terrible, but I got better over a few weeks. About a year later I went and started lessons, but the damage was done. My improper technique had deformed my lefty pinky finger and it gives me grief 32 years later.

13 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

I was playing in a 6 piece swing band with a residency (on bass guitar) in 1990 and the band leader told me I had to get a double bass. I did, but then he said I have to play it live the next weekend! I did, and I was terrible, but I got better over a few weeks. About a year later I went and started lessons, but the damage was done. My improper technique had deformed my lefty pinky finger and it gives me grief 32 years later.

Sorry to hear about the finger problem, playing a DB is definitely a real workout on a lot of parts of your body.

I've been lucky so far, a few aches and pains in my wrists and hands from practising for too long but nothing permanent. I have more trouble with my right hand when bowing but I have learned to stop before it gets too bad. I play every day if at all possible and that helps and I do some hand exercises to keep the arthritis under control.