Why become a member? ×

Why are GK 800RB's so rare in the UK?

umcoo

[quote name='umcoo' post='477372' date='May 1 2009, 10:18 PM']I quite fancy trying one out, but can't find anywhere that stocks them or anyone selling one on. I tried a GK 700RB last month and it sounded nice, but no 800's. What gives, Basschat?[/quote]

They are an 'old' model!

IMHO by far and away the best amp that GK have made but nonetheless they are an old model. They aren't that rare, I've seen them come up used on a regular basis and at very reasonable prices (compared to the new one I bought 15 years ago :) ).

Keep watching ebay and one will appear soon I'm sure!

I have both an 800RB and a 700RBII and find they are not massively different soundwise.

Although I prefer the 800 for it's tone,simplicity and portability, the extra headroom with the 700 makes it my
'everyday' gigging amp. Both amps have been 100% reliable (contrary to some apparent issues with GK stuff),
and apart from my old Ampeg SVT rig have been my favourite amps in 30 years of gigging. The 800 was often the
alternative choice for backline by touring US bands after the SVT, and for an all transistor design still managed
to sound quite old school 'valvey' IMO.

Think it is still possible to get the 800 new in US voltage spec, not sure if Euro versions are still available. Electro Music at Doncaster had
the 800 listed in stock for a while (around £580 IIRC),but have n't seen any advertised lately.