Why become a member? ×

XLR output on a small amp... Or head only?

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for a small practice amp I can XLR out of to leave in my drummers practice room. So it needs to be cheap but capable, so secondhand, old tech all welcome. 

The other option is a head that can run an XLR out without always running a cab. I know this can't always be done (how do I know if a head can or can't do this?). Why a head only? To have a backup.

Reason for this is.... We are going to headphone based practice as a band. The drummer plays an electric kit and we have a digital PA so we can all plug in and join in by headphones. We've got most of the kit and the bits we need can be covered at the cost of less than three visits to the rehearsal room that has questionable kit. We may also play quietly with or without the PA so I'd like an amp for this possibility but it's not essential.

Keen to have suggestions of amps or heads that are easy to get hold of secondhand and relatively cheap also... So not the 60watt Markbass Marcus Miller that costs hundreds and hundreds. 

Thank you!

I believe, a d someone will correct me of im wrong, if it is really only going to be headphine practice, you can just get. a DI box.

But this seems to meet your requirements for not much cash. I have the next version up and love it.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/tc_electronic_bam200.htm

And you can run it all day with no cab attached. Having to run with a cab attached is really only for all tube amps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Ah I had one of these but just plain didn't like the sound.

You could buy a cheap amp and not like the DI sound... :/  

If you aren't using the amp as an amp, I'd certainly be looking at a preamp/DI pedal rather than an amp which you will be paying more for as you are paying for the power section.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

You could buy a cheap amp and not like the DI sound... :/ 

True.

30 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

If you aren't using the amp as an amp, I'd certainly be looking at a preamp/DI pedal rather than an amp which you will be paying more for as you are paying for the power section. 

It may occasionally get used as an amp. Or as a backup head. I'm trying to keep my options open. I've already got an MXR DI pedal which I like the sound from, so that is my starting point, but for many reasons another amp (either head only or combo) would be an advantage.

I was also going to suggest an elf/gnome/BAM also but a BD1 21 offers a much cheaper option and will sound really quite good. (aha see you don't like the BD121)

In between those two options is the Zoom B1-Four which also offers cab and amp simulations and a tuner amongst other things. If you can't get a good sound out of these then something is wrong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

As did I. When I decided it wasn't for me I shipped it at my cost to a young guy on the infamous Talk Bass. I can't remember if he ever thanked me for it but hey that's in the past. The mods kicked me off the site for trying to warn them what a certain POTUS was trying to do. That's water under the bridge too! LOL

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I had one for a while before replacing it with the real I am sansamp. I found I preferred the sound of the Behringer when powered from a power supply rather than the internal battery.