Why become a member? ×

Do i want a Jaguar...?

MythSte

Well! Sorry ive been away a bit, we got a last minute deal to go to spain and boy, did i enjoy myself. Although ive come back liking mountains and pece and quiet...

Anyway, After the departure of my old band i swiftly sold all my gear expecting not to play for the next ten years... how wrong i was! I've just signed a two and a half year contract with The Locals, a cracking blackpool based band. Thus, i need a new bass. But my outlook to custom gear and the likes has changed somewhat. With all thses contracts and business decisions i really do think i want a Tool that fits a purpose.

Have a listen to the music, www.myspace.com/thelocalsblackpool - The old bassist used a jazz and i think it sounds quite nice myself, but live i really need a bit more drive which is why im thinking a jaguar might do the trick.

Answers on a postcard! And if anyone does have a Jag they can post soundclips of i'd be mighty pleased.

My opinion - no.

I've played 2 and both times been disappointed. They have a somewhat strange preamp, and I got nothing but hiss from the 2 I tried when using each pickup alone. Sure they are single coils but this was more than i'd expect. If you want a bass for tone stick with a Jazz, for looks - then yeah sure a Jaguar.

You can easily improve a Jazzes sound by changing the pickups and preamp, this is not so simple on the Jaguar.

If you are gonna use it for serious gigging, I would get a Geddy Lee jazz instead of a Jag. Had one and if I used it in active mode and there was a decent lighting system it buzzed like no ones business. If you check the various forums on the net, it seems to be quite a common problem. It needs some decent shielding to sort it. It does not effect them all and possibly the problem has been rectified.

Also the bass and treble controls were like an off/on switch and you cant blend the pickup volumes like you can on a Jazz. Mines was a heavy bugger as well. Result, sold it and bought a mexican jazz. :)

Having said all that, it did look cool.

I have one and love it to bits - but with some reservations. It does the buzz thing - softly - unless you are touching metal, but it isn't very loud (and for some reason both the guitards in our band make more buzzing noise from their effects)

I did a playoff between the Jag and a USA Jazz when I was buying - none of the cheaper Jazzes I tried came close. In terms of playability I found it to be the same as a USA jazz - same kind of neck, same feel. In terms of build quality I think the USA Jazz had the edge but there wasn't a huge amount in it.

What did it for me at the time were the range of tones available and, yes, the looks. As Jezzaboy says, you can't blend the two pups. When passive you can do bridge on/off, neck on/off, series/parallel for each or both together. I'm not sure why this should make a difference when using a pup singly but it does. All controlled with a single tone pot. When active you have exactly the same range of combinatons and tone pot control but with a basic two-band equaliser that cuts and/or boosts the lower and upper ends. This was all discovered in the shop.

Having lived with the Jag for a while now I have discovered that certain things aren't quite so important. I am new to the whole gigging situation and my inexperience led me to put more weight on the tonal variety thing. In reality I wouldn't want to keep swapping from active to passive, it isn't practical. Had I been able to play them both together in a performing situation before buying I might have gone for the Jazz - it is difficult to make absolute judgements.

Even though it was around £150 more I think the USA Jazz probably represents better value for money. You can't help getting the impression that the extra money spent on a much more straightforward instrument (none of those fancy electrics) is a good investment. Also the Jags don't hold their value like a Jazz - if you do want a Jag they can be picked up second hand for a steal. At the time I was reluctant to spend the extra money and the Jag was the more attractive package.

All of which I can easily live with. The bottom line for me is that I love the Jag. I get a sound from it that I am really pleased with and I find it a joy to play. And it looks drop dead gorgeous - shallow, I know, but there you are - the more unusual styling I find immensely appealing - especially since I retro fitted a BWB scratchplate. I see no reason why it shouldn't be my #1 bass for many years.

[attachment=24732:jaguarblacksp3.jpg]

I've also always been very disappointed by Jaguars. Nothing to commend them, really. Just a bit different to look at, with a sound that doesn't really impress.

Get a jazz of some shape/description/pricerange that feels good & treat yourself to a Sadowsky outboard preamp. Job done.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='478069' date='May 3 2009, 08:41 AM']Get a jazz of some shape/description/pricerange that feels good & treat yourself to a Sadowsky outboard preamp. Job done.[/quote]

I think you may well be right. I think im fighting a losing battle against going corporate! I played a 75RI the other day that i reallly liked. /i even think those are mexican these days arnt they? Hmm!

On a lighter note, my first gig with these guys tonight, im excited!

[quote name='MythSte' post='478084' date='May 3 2009, 09:45 AM']I think you may well be right. I think im fighting a losing battle against going corporate! I played a 75RI the other day that i reallly liked. /i even think those are mexican these days arnt they? Hmm!

On a lighter note, my first gig with these guys tonight, im excited![/quote]

I really liked that Bacchus Jazz you used to have, tried it in the studio when we recorded the Motorstorm track there. Do you not have that one anymore?

[quote name='MythSte' post='478273' date='May 3 2009, 03:13 PM']im afraid not, It was a very nice bass!

I got a bit clumsy on 5 strings though and would much rather have a four now. And the bacchus didnt do "tame" very well![/quote]

Cool man. Personally if I were you I'd be looking at either a J or a P. Both do that classic Fender thing that I suspect you're looking for, but in different ways. I also find Jazzes a tad more versatile, plus there's dozens of different models, not counting all the clones that other companies make. I really liked the Fender MIM 70s RI Jazz, a really killer model and looks the business as well.

[quote name='MythSte' post='478281' date='May 3 2009, 03:25 PM']yeah is that the one in HW music where sound control used to be, is it still there?! I was really wowed by that one.[/quote]

Yeah, still there, I think it's half a grand straight up. I've played it a few times, IMHO better than the black US Jazz they have in, sounds more "natural", if you know what I mean. And the block inlays look really cool, with the sunburst/black pickguard. It would be at my house right now if I had the cash. I reckon it would fit in really well, soundwise and visually.

yeah i remember playing it, I think it was wired wrong though, only one of the volume pots worked! I was going to make a trip to liverpool on tuesday to trawl round some shops but i might just save myself the effort and grab that...

[quote name='MythSte' post='478288' date='May 3 2009, 03:35 PM']yeah i remember playing it, I think it was wired wrong though, only one of the volume pots worked! I was going to make a trip to liverpool on tuesday to trawl round some shops but i might just save myself the effort and grab that...[/quote]

Hmm. Last time I tried it it worked okay. Either way if it's got a problem get 'em to knock 100 quid off the price and then get Scott to rewire it, double bonus. Definitely worth it though, plus I reckon it'll hold its value pretty well if you need to shift it down the line.

Sounds like adding some shielding and replacing the stock preamp with say a Sadowsky pre and this could be a great bass. Im not an off the rack kinda guy when it comes to my instruments so I wouldnt mind spending the extra dosh tailoring it to myself, but I know this can turn most people away. I think I would probably make it a stack-knob as well to round out the project.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='478495' date='May 3 2009, 08:25 PM']Further to my 'AnyOldJazz' & Sadowsky suggestion Steve, I was totally bowled over by one of the white Squier Classic Vibe Jazzes the other week & speaking of which, my brother Nick (Doctor_of_the_Bass) has just bought one.[/quote]

I tried one of those and was left wholly un impressed myself. Th eplayability was just atrocious. I'll bet it was a lemon though.

I think ive come to the conclusion im going to shoot for the 75RI in preston, i know it sounds brilliant, I know it plays brilliantly, it looks stunning and yeah!

More good news, i just got back from my first gig and it was awsome, ill post pics up in the relevent thread when i can!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='479202' date='May 4 2009, 06:35 PM']Good move, mate. Is this a Japanese '75 with the lovely gloss finish everywhere, or the new Mexican 70's Jazz bass with the blocks?[/quote]

The one we're talking about is the MIM 70's with the blocks.

Well! I got it! And I have to give a heads up to hw music for being the first music shop where I really felt valued. They had bumped the price up to 600 which really shocked me considering it's been there for ages. Anyway I mentioned I'd been in to try and but it once before and he instantly offered me the old price (490) with a fender padded bag and a £25 lead. What a guy! I'll get pics up tonight.

I can't believe I'm finally the owner of a sunburst jazz, I must be growing up!

[quote name='MythSte' post='480133' date='May 5 2009, 05:28 PM']Well! I got it! And I have to give a heads up to hw music for being the first music shop where I really felt valued. They had bumped the price up to 600 which really shocked me considering it's been there for ages. Anyway I mentioned I'd been in to try and but it once before and he instantly offered me the old price (490) with a fender padded bag and a £25 lead. What a guy! I'll get pics up tonight.

I can't believe I'm finally the owner of a sunburst jazz, I must be growing up![/quote]

Sweet deal dude. Which guy was it?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='480135' date='May 5 2009, 05:29 PM']Sweet deal dude. Which guy was it?[/quote]

It was the manager, didn't catch his name mind. Short dark hair? Boss have just put their prices up though too, a tu-2 cost me 70! Love the multibuy blackmail discount though :)