Why become a member? ×

NBD: Vintage Fender Japan goodness

ossyrocks

This arrived from Bass Bros just over a week ago. I was actually away on a residential course from delivery day onwards, so I had to confess to Mrs Rocks about buying it and ask her very nicely if she would stay at home and take delivery of it. She duly did, and even unpacked it and sent me pictures.

Anyway, the bass! It’s a 1987 Made In Japan Fender PB-62 Reissue. These were apparently made by Fujigen Gakki for Fender at the time. The build quality is amazing, easily as good as anything I’ve seen from Fender. Acoustically it rings like a grand piano, very reminiscent of the 2016 AVRI P bass I had until recently. One of the  most remarkable things about the bass is the condition, it looks more or less new, which is surprising for a 36 year old instrument. There are a handful, maybe four or five tiny marks on the body, that’s it, no buckle rash and no fret wear. It weighs 4.1kg, or 9lbs 1oz. It even came in it’s original shipping carton with matching serial number. The neck is lovely, very very close to my ‘73 P bass, 41mm nut, but just ever so slightly slimmer from front to back.

I bought this bass primarily as a bass I need to worry less about than my vintage 70’s Fender basses. Also as a bass I can try things out on, looms, pickups, bridges etc, something I don’t need to be too precious about keeping original. So it’s going to get gigged, and changes will be made, in fact I’ve already made a couple.

The first pics are as I received it, totally stock, with the white guard. I’ve been playing it like this since I got home, even with the rounds on it. Today, I received a new loom for it from John (thanks @KiOgon), so I was ready to make a few changes.

Now it’s sporting a tortoise guard (thanks @dodgnofski) with full vintage style shielding plate underneath, Fender Custom Shop 62 pickup, new kiOgon loom, and new knobs. And it’s got a new set of TI flats on it. The action is low, it plays wonderfully, and it sounds great. The original guard and wiring with knobs, and the pickup are all stashed away safely if ever I want to put it back to stock.

I’m going to take it out on Friday night to the local jazz jam and hopefully play a couple of tunes on it.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers,

Rob

3FFF8588-8886-40D8-B555-D719DC63022E.jpeg

28CD7FAA-EF56-48B5-88E9-842CF1E11904.jpeg

5F9E60F1-3229-4857-8083-22F6B7325B32.jpeg

0B0B3773-541D-4A6A-A683-A17CB545FF82.jpeg

E27D7180-C632-4F50-BF64-381311288C16.jpeg

09DDA127-5021-409D-A867-D171BD693884.jpeg

B65DCE7A-D3E6-4C22-8C76-915E3476AE63.jpeg

• Like 19

Glad to see your friend came through on their promise to let you have the bass 😁

This reissue line from Fender Japan is just great and I haven't played a bad one, the necks are sublime and just feel great to me. Great choice on those mods too, bet it sounds killer. Enjoy your new bass!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

I had a similar era black p with maple neck that I regret getting rid of. I really customised it with a MM pickup, badass bridge and jazz knobs. I’d love to buy it back if it ever emerges. 
Why did I ever sell something that sounded so good! 

We all have those regrets, I don’t think I’ve met a musician who didn’t have a tale like that.

• Like 1

Lovely! I'm not a P guy really but I've had an '84 SQ & an '87-ish A-serial, and they were two of the nicest basses I've owned. Fujigen were absolutely at the top of their game at that point.

Apropos of nothing, there's something about the purity (if that's the right word!) of a BBOT bridge on a vintage Precision - I'd leave the Babicz in the parts drawer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

As a rule I like those knobs but for some reason they don't look right on this. Go back to the vintage ones.

The knob are pretty much identical, but shinier. I’ll have a look at them.

• Like 1

@tom.android and @Bassassin, I get where you’re coming from. I played it tonight at jazz jam, with the BBOT bridge, and it was great. Jazz jam is a whole other story though. I do err on the side of vintage hardware, and always have. I’ll not change the bridge for the time being, I need get used to the bass first. It does help that the bridge a 70’s design rather than the 60’s threaded saddles.

Rob