Why become a member? ×

Overplaying 😯

White Cloud

2 hours ago, nilorius said:

I think the mistake i made was playing donna lee, without asking them - what exactly do you want me to play, a bass solo or just a funky groove. Maybe drums can joine me ? That would be right, i think!

While that definitely would have helped you chose something closer to what they actually wanted to hear, and potentially perhaps even could possibly have had you pass their audition, it's mainly their responsibility and fault as far as I am concerned, and their loss if they miss out on a potential otherwise best suited candidate (not saying you necessarily was that, but in general) because of their lacking auditioning methods/procedure, that as I have argued in previous replies, at least judging from what you told us, really leaves a lot to pure coincident and doesn't really test/prove anything that would actually matter in terms of whether/how well a given applicant/candidate would fit into their band or not.   

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 12/05/2023 at 14:44, fretmeister said:

Frank Zappa made it a point of pride that his live solos were never just copies of the record and he wrote the things!

Go nuts and enjoy yourself.

I saw Zappa stop a concert when one of the musicians in the band played the wrong notes with a terse 'Stop. I want to hear the right notes' - I believe that he was relaxed about some material, but some stuff, particularly if he was trying to record it he wanted right.

So far as overplaying goes, we've all been young and daft - These days, I record gigs and rehearsals, I have enough on my plate to play material correctly when its counted in.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

51 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Or they'd decided within ten seconds of meeting him that they didn't want him and were letting him down gently.

It can be pretty obvious when someone turns up to audition that they'd never fit in with the band, however good they might be playing wise. 

35 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

It can be pretty obvious when someone turns up to audition that they'd never fit in with the band, however good they might be playing wise. 

We auditioned a singer once. Good singer, nailed all the songs in all the original keys.

And then proceeded to tell us about all the fights he'd been in at gigs. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

We auditioned a singer once. Good singer, nailed all the songs in all the original keys.

And then proceeded to tell us about all the fights he'd been in at gigs. 🙄

Your loss!

Being capable of engaging with the audience is actually considered a valuable asset in a front man...

;)

• Haha 1

On 13/05/2023 at 12:56, Rich said:

I saw a jazz combo down at the Old Duke in Bristol one night; the bassist had a nice old antigua Jazz and my first impression was that he could really play, but it became apparent that he just didn't know when to stop really playing. Or playing at all. He took a solo, which was very impressive, but he just kept doing it. He widdled away all over the sax solo, he even kept on in the drum solo by which time all I wanted was for him to STFU. After a couple of songs my opinion of him had totally changed, and I just wanted him to take his nice old Jazz and feck off home.

Was it Charles Berthould, by any chance?

• Haha 1