Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity upgrade hardware

Sbaddy

Morning all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm quite new to bass world
I have a 2010 squier affinity P bass, but I started to play bass just lately and i'm really enjoing.

My question is: does it make sense to upgrade the hardware (pick ups, bridge, tuning machines, etc) to something more than it's basic configuration because of its age?

Currently i'm playing with a Marcus Miller U5, still the first bass is something i can't trash easily :D

Thanks for any contribution 

It’s easy to fall into the rabbit-hole of ‘improvements’ to a cheap bass, but unless it’s making your life difficult or isn’t doing something that you want it to then I’d say stick with it.

Unimproved basses generally hold their value more than most that have been tinkered with, so there’s that to consider if and when you want to upgrade to another bass down the line.

If you’re currently enjoying playing it then my advice would be to keep doing that.

I have two Squier Affinity Ps, had another one and I have modded them all. There are I believe two considerations to make IMHO

-Mods only make sense if you want to achieve something (or if you want to have fun with it). There is now way to say of they are worth it in absolute terms.

-Mods only make sense if you like the bass to start with, except for those things you want to change. Do you like to play a P? Do you like the sound of a P? Do you like the neck? Is the neck fully functional (eg not unstable, truss rod ok)? Is the bass of a weigh that is ok for you? How is the fretwork? You like it overall? The more you love the bass, the more it makes sense to spend money. A cheap bass modded to your liking, if the basic features are very solid, could sound better (to you) than a much more expensive Fender P. 

I have changed the pickups to all three. I do not fancy the P of the modern PJs much. I did like the pickup of one from 2000, but at the end of the day the aggressive ceramic pickups you get do my head in after a while. You can get nice vintage sounds with Wilkinson alnicos (20 pounds) the slightly hotter and darker Tonerider TRP1 (40 pounds) or look further (I bought here a great pickup from a Classic 50s P for 35 pounds).

I have changed the bridge in one but just because the old one was giving me trouble. In general I am all ok with cheap bridges.

I have changed the tuners in one with Hipshot Licensed ultralight. Affinity often have a light body and are neck heavy as a result. This has made the bass well balanced, so more confortable and a joy to play. I bought them used here but I would have bought them new anyway.

I have changed the neck to one. Because the truss rod was not working right but I loved the rest (which was already modded), and the new neck was sold here for a good price. Financially changing neck does not make sense.

I have filed bumpy frets and nit slots in two of them. This is big deal in terms of playability. Not really an upgrade. My view is if I don't like how the neck plays I don't like the bass. So dealing with frets and nut first of all.

From a financial point of view, mods are not great. A 120 pound P is worth 120 after mods, maybe little more. However, if you sell, you can still put the old parts back in and sell everything separately

Edited by Paolo85

If you can solder and buy used drop in replacement parts then reversible upgrades are a fun way to try new things and improve a cheap bass. Where it gets risky is doing irreversible modifications which might not have the desired effect and leave you with someting you may struggle to sell if you decide it's not for you. Sensible upgrades for a cheap P copy would be a better pickup (although the difference might be less noticeable than you would expect) and quality tuners if you intend on gigging it.

There's worse things to spend your disposable income on.

• Like 1

First of all just play it for a few weeks and maybe refine the setup how you like it. Then later on if you think something is not quite up to scratch, upgrade it

I played a Squier for several years. The main upgrade I made was to fit a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups. I also swapped out the loom, mainly because the volume and tone controls were not reliable 

The Squier bridge and tuners are perfectly serviceable imho

#1 Get with what ya got... whats wrong?

#2 Machine Heads... Lube worm 'n gear with coppaslip, or something lightly abrasive... toothpaste... and turn n turn to clean n clear flashing and help with fit... then clean off and lube with vaseline... smoother?

#3 Bridge... nice A2 stainless saddle height screws, correct height, 8s and 10s mm? So the ends don't cut ya palm... light thread lock on the the threads... Spaldings Fasteners... couple of quid.

#4 'lectrics... Loom, I likes the Artec QTP instead of a tone pot... Vol Pot... Quality Wire... Alnico Pickup, Wilkinson £25... Tonerider £40... Kent Armstrong £55.

#5 Strings... Roundd or Flats... I likes the Adagio Flats Bargain at £15.

#6 All set-up to suit you (sir!)

Can't beat a cheapy running at it's full potential... 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

As already posted,  modding a bass might not increase its resale value,  and will cost you money. 

However,  the experience you gain from doing the work plus the satisfaction you get from (hopefully)  improving something is a reward in itself.

Equally, tinkering with instruments is one of the best ways to learn what you really do and don't like about a bass. This can prove invaluable when you buy your next one. (See also: invaluable haggling tool when buying  a second-hand, sub-par instrument at your local Cash Converters!)