Why become a member? ×

ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. ** Trades now considered ** Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. LAST DROP ** £385 **inc UK delivery. - *WITHDRAWN*
£645
Suffolk

Quent

Hi everyone. FINAL Drop to £385 inc UK Delivery ( NO offers at this price ).

Now considering TRADES rough value £500.

Trades for approx £500 value for 4 string Active with Passive switch/ Push Pull.

2 pickups and Blend control. Tone Control in the passive mode. Must be in excellent condition

and 4.1kg , 9lbs 3oz maximum weight.

I will not sell  my ESP LTD for less than this final drop to £385 including UK delivery.

I will withdraw this bass by mid January.

More bass for yer dosh than most on here so please read the detail below.

I had this bass at The Gallery but have decided to get it back home

and try again here. If you want the gigbag + D Tuner which fits but 

doesn’t match the others , the price is * £425 *.

The old replies from my first posting of the bass here in summer 2023 are still

on view. 

Excellent build quality, finish, top electronics and versatility. UK only delivery included.

See recommendation in comments below by Harlequin74 ( July 15 ) who played the bass at The Gallery.

” Just a quick recommend for this bass. Tested it at Bass Gallery when there to pick up another bass.

Lovely bass, with fantastic build quality and amazing tonal variation with John East preamp. Looks lovely too. “

I bought this 2002 (ESP) LTD DLX J-1004 in June 2020 from Basschatter “Bass Wielder “.

He had upgrades done professionally about 5 years ago and it gives a superb variety of tones. It’s exactly 5kg , 11lbs using my accurate scales but is very well balanced and is therefore fine with a wide grippy shoulder strap and when you’re seated it’s reassuringly plonked and stable on your thigh compared to some light weights.

Upgraded with 2 pairs of switchable Hot-Rod coils and a John East Uni-Pre.

It has a lovely dark rosewood neck with abalone markers and side dots.

Ash body with golden Quilted maple top and gorgeous binding containing abalone shards  ( looks like that). So a hell of a lot of bass features and top electronics on offer here. Notice the great top edge contouring (photo) with rear scoop and front curve for arm rest comfort.

See further details below for the Eternal Guitars and Hot-Rods detail on the windings

and 3 way switches for each pair of coils. Series/Parallel/Single. 

The Modifications.

*East UK Uni pre - Active /Passive bass pre-amp that simply is world class.

*East UK BLI - battery low indicator tells you when 9v is almost out of power.

Easiest to look at the Uni Pre using the John East link below. See 5 knob version.

No noticeable change in Vol when pulling / push Passive tone knob ( sits above the line of 4 knobs on my bass).

Line of 4 goes Vol Blend Mids/sweep Treb/Bass with pull for extra sizzle.

The Treb knob is slightly scratchy when turning it but fine once in position.

The passive tone works in active mode too but for me best turned full on

for best clarity from the active EQ.

*Hot-Rods custom made pickups - Specially made for this bass. It is like having four Jazz style pickups in a two shell  package (3 way switchable between each pair of coils). The combination of this and the East UK has turned this instrument into a very versatile beast. From Marcus Miller slap to Jaco jazz to Pino P-bass if you have the skills !

20 year old bass but only has a few small marks on the thick gloss coated body

so they look no worse than a bit of dust on the bass. See arrows on photos.

1/2 inch crack  in the gloss only, under the neck pocket, see photo looking under the neck joint. It’s stable so is not an issue. Some pick playing lines on body under strings at playing area. It’s quite a vintage golden colour on the body top. One or two minor scratch marks if you peer very closely and an edge gloss chip on the headstock (tuner-side ) so minor cosmetics only considering the age.

I’ve polished the frets and a fretboard clean with a little oil. Frets look like they’ve had a proper levelling because it plays superbly, no buzz and actually sings when not plugged in. Minimal neck relief and the strings run from 2.2mm to 1.8mm E to G at 12th when fretted at 1st.

Room for the saddles to go lower.

This is all making me have second thoughts about selling again.

Selling to help fund other purchases. I’ve had my fun with this (ESP)LTD J1004 experimenting for hours with

the brilliant John East Uni-Pre, Two 3 way switches and some blending of the pups. It’s endless what you can create.

I need to start replacing some basses if I’m to experiment further.

I’ve spent up and now have no room to have more basses.

A Note copied below on the bass’s modifications , from Dave at Eternal Guitars and (Hot Rod) Pickups. UK to Bass Wielder ( Hope that’s ok BW. All technical )

Unit 8A Littlemead Business Centre, Tangmere Rd, Chichester PO20 2EU, United Kingdom

"Hi.

Glad that you like the pickups so far!

Okay, wiring: they are wound and wired in a similar fashion to a normal humbucking pickup but of course with the exception that each coil is a true Jazz bass pickup. To wire them in series you will need to join the red and green wires together and cover the join with tape or shrink tubing. If you plan to coil split, then the joined red/green will go to your switch.

White is live and black is earth.

Some details on the pickups: the neck pickup is two Jazz bass pickups wound to vintage specs and placed side by side - both pickups use forbon flatwork and eight magnetised poles. Either could be used individually if desired for a 'true' singlecoil sound or in series (as supplied).

The bridge pickup is slightly different - it uses a vintage spec wound Jazz bass pickup nearest to the neck but the coil nearest to the bridge uses identical flatwork and magnets but with a 'hotter' coil wind. When selected on its own this coil will have a thicker and warmer single coil tone than a traditional Jazz bass.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any help wiring them up... : )

Cheers for now,

Dave Walsh

Eternal Guitars & Pickups . Chichester. UK “

34" scale

Ash body w/quilted maple top and  gorgeous binding with abalone shards.

** Maple neck w/dual graphite reinforcement rods** V advanced for 2002.

Rosewood  fingerboard

38mm nut width

Abalone dot inlays w/model name at 12th fret

Hipshot Gold Ultralite  tuners, satin. Separate Gotoh gold D Tuner , polished.

Hipshot "A" style satin bridge w/string-thru-body option.

21 Frets 

Brass nut 

**String through body or Bridge.

Sounds: Extremely versatile and you can load the strings via the bridge or through the body. Has 45-105 Elixir Nickel plated steel strings  ( Nanoweb Coating ) and they still a lot of life in them.

I’ll insure the delivery ,probably UPS as usual.

Very close offers welcome but this is very fairly priced for a beautifully constructed bass with superb electronics

and versatility. Choose with or without D tuner and gigbag. £40 more with those. ( 435 + 40 )

Don’t forget you can zoom in on the binding and quilted top by tapping a photo first 

which gives a better quality photo, then zoom in.

Thanks for looking.

Quent

FCFBAFB4-E7E3-42AF-BBE0-66458A84A64E.jpeg

B544243B-977B-4F6B-ABAE-9EEE220B5808.jpeg

7C1B83F9-D4EA-4827-95B8-8C2C24D6A4A2.jpeg

A37CE2CB-2567-42E3-84F0-65F1B9AC2E02.jpeg

F79517FD-F072-480A-84CE-4AEA7C31C05B.jpeg

803277AC-6890-485E-B65A-BD0D5897543F.jpeg

B2E9101C-64A5-46E0-A7C5-ABF3A1AADE4C.jpeg

21010487-AE48-4B38-B3F5-87F53F5AFF57.jpeg

04B54F46-BDB6-4B7A-A543-04D94881C1A1.jpeg

3A0AEF74-A950-4AD5-B35B-4E3AC5908451.jpeg

75CF5681-A474-4687-82EA-C45B79AAE58B.jpeg

CC277DBD-9429-47C9-92E8-5BEFE09656F1.jpeg

C4557737-BE65-49C0-99D6-ADF62468522E.jpeg

AD812D3F-84BF-4D00-A2F9-BFAC2F042D14.jpeg

741A2D40-4D14-4A34-B7D0-FEC11C655F21.jpeg

0DA6A92D-D461-44E5-BFCB-2E4735FF7183.jpeg

Edited by Quent
Will Withdraw Jan 7th. Some Detail on trades added. is
  • Like 10

• Sibob changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. ** NOW £595**including UK Delivery. D Tuner and new Tourtech gig bag.
  • Sibob unlocked this topic

Thanks for the recommendation! Yes, an endless  variety of tones available 

and she’s a real beauty. At this price, I’ll get the same on here as if anyone buys it

from the gallery direct ( their commission vs me paying postage to get it back

from them and then post on to you - Palaver ! ) PM me and I can drop slightly

on price. Cheers. 

GnarlyQuent

• Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. ** Further Reduced £545 **including UK Delivery. D Tuner and new Tourtech gig bag.

Beauty. Accept a bump from a recent very happy customer!

pickups like that are amazing for tone selection. I have a Rikkers Bodyline (they’re based in Holland) which has micro switches on the pickups (they call them switchbuckers) to select phase for the coils, and the tones you can get are so cool. Passive single coils? Can do. Active humbuckers? Yep. In phase / out of phase? Yep!

this bass is a beauty too, I can see why it was regarded as a good platform for the upgrades. The d-tuner is the icing on the cake! Good luck with the sale!

Thanks very much for your expert comments guys. Someone’s going to love this

bass but I’ve had my own 3 years of fun with it so time to pass it on. 

Sensible offers considered still. Cheers.

• Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. **LAST CHANCE DROP to£475 ** including UK Delivery. D Tuner and new Tourtech gig bag.
  • Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. ** £475 ** including UK Delivery. D Tuner and new Tourtech gig bag.
  • Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. ** DROP £485 ** including UK Delivery. D Tuner and new Tourtech gig bag.
  • Woodinblack unlocked this topic

Big DROP to £485 now and to clarify, the bass is here with me in Suffolk ( was at The Gallery in the summer ).

Some old Replies above , from summer sale, are not relevant. Make me a sensible offer. Thanks.

• Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. ** Trades now considered ** Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. LAST DROP ** £385 **inc UK delivery.
  • Quent changed the title to ESP LTD Deluxe J-1004. ** Trades now considered ** Will Withdraw Jan 7th ** Upgraded with John East Uni-Pre and 2 pairs Hot Rod pickups. LAST DROP ** £385 **inc UK delivery.