Why become a member? ×

Who was at Stanley Clarke's gig at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival Yesterday?

jazzyvee

I went to see the concert last night. The band were so young and incredible musicians, and Stanley of course is a legend and performed superbly. 

i was fortunate to meet them at their hotel after the gig. Mainly because Stanley's road manager had a couple of his own cd's for me to play on my radio programme. Anyway i got to have a chat with Stanley and he introduced me to his wife. I asked him if there was a reason he didn't play his alembics and he said it was because of the acoustics. It a depends on the venue since many of the theatre venues they play, an electric bass is too boomy in the room, so in those places he would use the acoustic for the gig.

To be honest i really love his db playing as much as his electric playing so it didn't affect my enjoyment. 

• Like 8

I'd be happy to hear him doing a more double bass focused set! I wonder if he's travelling with his double bass, or using a bass-du-jour? The logistics of flying double basses can be expensive and a lot of even top-flight bassists use hired instruments on tour, but then Clarke's playing style probably has quite exacting setup needs.

I too would love to see him doing a full acoustic set like the tour he did with Chick Corea, lenny white, joe henderson and freddie hubbard just after their Griffith Park Collection album back in the 80's. The dvd of that concert is astounding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

acoustic set

I remember seeing him doing a half'n'half back in the early 90s, Royal Festival Hall iirc, with an amazing supergroup featuring him, Omar Hakim on drums, Wayne Shorter on sax and Herbie Hancock on keys. 

Though I still prefer it when he gets those enormous fingers on that tiny Alembic...

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2023 at 14:00, BoomTing said:

Stan has got a pair with an Alembic attached !

Stanley+Clarke+-+(1988)+If+This+Bass+Cou

Love that album, it came out around the time I was falling in love with the bass. I had this and Schooldays plus Heavy Weather and Black Market to add a little Jaco with the Stanley.

You wouldn't think I used to listen to such wonderful jazz fusion now that I'm 'staying on the root note' in a metal band 😆