Why become a member? ×

Set up for noodling.....

martthebass

It’s been years since I’ve done home recording of any kind. I had a Fostex X15 which shows the ancient-ness so to speak. The last few decades , musically, have been mainly of a gigging nature and not being a multi-instrumentalist I’ve refrained from putting ideas down to media.

With my new semi retirement status I’ve a hankering to do a bit of noodling but would like a bit of advice. I have a new iPad Pro and a zippy gaming PC (that I use for Astro imaging) and wondered if I’d be best employing one of those in some way or would a 6/8 track standalone unit be the best option (it would need to have rhythm built in). Which ever route, I could do with guidance on what would be required if going the PC or iPad route. TIA

Edited by martthebass

As an old geezer who doesn't really like or "get" the computer based stuff, I'd say use a stand alone multi track recorder thing, it's the only way I could do owt like that, I tried computer based stuff very briefly and just thought "nah" & gave up with it. 

I realise this will be a minority view btw 😁

• Like 1

I'd say the first thing you'd need to consider is whether you're wanting to record just yourself or will be wanting to record multiple instruments simultaneously.

If it's just a "solo" affair, then maybe some sort of DAW and an interface would be a good idea. The iPad should have GarageBand on it, you'll just need a compatible interface for recording.

If you wanted to use the PC, again, an interface with a suitable DAW is the way to go. If you bought a brand new interface, it should come with a bundled DAW to get you started.

Simple interfaces will have 1 or 2 inputs, and probably cost less than £100 for a pretty decent one. More inputs = more outlay. If you have a Multi-FX (Zoom/Line6/Boss/etc.), then you could simply use that as the interface, and record via its USB connection.

A standalone multi-track recorder is a great idea too, there'll be loads of second hand ones kicking about, something like a Yamaha AW16G with an onboard HDD & CD-ROM.

• Like 2

I dabble a bit with recording and quite surprised myself how well I managed it, I’ve got the new iPad Pro and was using GarageBand with an irig, but I upgraded to a focusrite solo which I found better quality, I tried other apps but GarageBand was easier for me to use ,and once I spent some time with it I soon had it working well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I dabble a bit with recording and quite surprised myself how well I managed it, I’ve got the new iPad Pro and was using GarageBand with an irig, but I upgraded to a focusrite solo which I found better quality, I tried other apps but GarageBand was easier for me to use ,and once I spent some time with it I soon had it working well 

Thanks matey, I’ll check that out. I’m only looking at recording one thing at a time.

• Like 1