Why become a member? ×

NBD - Overload Achilles Bass

Rick05

NBD! I’m now the very proud owner of this Overload Achilles bass. Absolutely in love with how it sounds, really nice deep tone and lovely to play. Matteo at Overload was awesome, helping me decide the final spec and walking me through the process.

I had a lot questions about ordering a custom bass, such as woods and shipping that I posed on this site, so a huge thank you to everyone who answered them and patience on follow up questions. It great to have such a responsive and lovely community here that helped so much in choosing what to do. 

For any one interested in spec:
5 string Achilles Bass
34-37’’ Multiscale 
Body wood: Swamp Ash
Top Wood: Poplar Burl with Wenge layer
Neck: Wenge and Bubinga
Fretboard: Birdseye Maple
Pickups: Nordstrand Big Blade
Preamp: Aguilar OBP-3
Schaller Straplock
Gator hard case
Gruv gear Neo Solo Strap

1A2E0F1A-B3B8-43D6-8E3A-B3C80498C394.jpeg

2854F922-13F0-4D92-87DF-E34B4BB07488.jpeg

85BC1F5D-6B84-40AD-B91D-591FB73A4FC0.jpeg

03501A9F-8AEB-4EF3-B173-58108B137B38.jpeg

• Like 14

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Interesting pickup placement - not following the fan pattern, so the lower strings will presumably be more bassy and the upper strings more trebly, the opposite to a Warwick Thumb.

I think it really works, though the only reference I really have in terms of fanned fretted basses is my Dingwall combustion. Tap far this feels like it has more low end punch to it. Really enjoying playing with the tone too

Lovely looking bass. I love the way the string clamps are staggered along with the angled headstock to blend in with the multiscale design.

Are they individual clamps or part of the head end?

Any chance of a close up photo of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Lovely looking bass. I love the way the string clamps are staggered along with the angled headstock to blend in with the multiscale design.

Are they individual clamps or part of the head end?

Any chance of a close up photo of them.

Sure, here you go. It does finish the top of the neck really nicely 

20BB7520-9175-4F46-B176-15B5D3FC8459.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I don't usually like the look of fan fret basses... Until now! Looks amazing.

Thanks. I have two multiscale basses now and I don’t think I’ll go back. The clarity of the b string is just amazing, plus I just love the look

• Like 2

That looks stunning, and I love the shape! It looks very ergonomical and well-thought out, and it's absolutely beautiful. It's also not as tiny as many headless designs thanks to that 37" scale B! I look like a giant with my 34" headless Status basses xD

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Oh yes! They are brass and set back into the neck

Absolute class.

Thanks so much! This is my first headless so still getting to grips and always finding new little details to admire

22 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

That looks stunning, and I love the shape! It looks very ergonomical and well-thought out, and it's absolutely beautiful. It's also not as tiny as many headless designs thanks to that 37" scale B! I look like a giant with my 34" headless Status basses xD

Thanks, it is a bit of beast but really wanted to have the maximum scale as I use the b a lot. Bet your status is lovely to play! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2023 at 23:19, Swaff said:

Absolutely beautiful! I've been a fan of these since getting into Jinjer and Eugene Abdukhanov's signature bass, glad to know they deliver on tone as well as looks.

I discovered them the same way and so glad I took the risk on getting one 

• Like 1