Why become a member? ×

Bitsa stocktake

Beedster

8 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

There are a lot more frets on show there than I would expect for you sir!

like that blue body :)

Ha ha, good point, have to say I'm really enjoying playing old Motown stuff on the Enfield fretted, flats, tone fully open, getting that lovely articulation to a note that only a fret can give you. But fretless still feels like home :) 

I love the idea of having a bundle of necks and a bundle of bodies and being able to switch them to work out what sounds good together. :)
Glad you're getting on with the Sims pickups too, I looked at them, and even made a bitsa with similar functionality and got lost in option paralysis - between that and the 8 knobs on the ACG equipped streamer I had there was a definite digression to enjoying the simplicity of a P bass. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 09:05, LukeFRC said:

I love the idea of having a bundle of necks and a bundle of bodies and being able to switch them to work out what sounds good together. :)
Glad you're getting on with the Sims pickups too, I looked at them, and even made a bitsa with similar functionality and got lost in option paralysis - between that and the 8 knobs on the ACG equipped streamer I had there was a definite digression to enjoying the simplicity of a P bass. 

Option paralysis is a great phrase @LukeFRC. But yes, I have 8 Fender-fit necks and 8 Fender-fit bodies to play with and while some combinations disappoint, others simply excel.

The Enfields however are another level, I start with P-Bass each time and slowly blend in other things depending on the song, and I have to say I'm falling back in love with playing bass, fretted and fretless 👍

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Reading this is not helping rid me of my Sims Gas. Are they really all that? And have you got a cheap supply source ( they are pretty expensive!)

Yes, astonishingly good, to the point that their discontinuation makes no sense to me given that, while expensive (£2-3k), so are Fenders, EBMMs and many other production line basses, and these are not production line basses, certainly not in the sense of the big manufacturers. The engineering, mechanical and electrical, is of an extremely high level in both design and execution - the only thing I don't like are the PUP LEDs but it's simple to take them out of the loop - and the sheer quality of the resultant instrument would still be impressive if they were in the £5-6k range. 

And no, no cheap supply I'm afraid, they're not made anymore (I got lucky with both to be honest). I was speaking to a guy in 'the business' a while back who seemed to suggest that there was, shall we say, some opposition to the Enfield line, as well as a lot of criticism of there being 'derivative' (which is odd as nearly all top end basses with a few exceptions are derivative in one way or another), and oddly I've also heard they have been accused of plagiarising Wal? Anyway, I'm fortunate to have two beautiful Enfields, and having met Martin and seen his work first hand - not just the quality but the precision and the passion - only makes me more appreciative of them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

oddly I've also heard they have been accused of plagiarising Wal?

Oh, they would love me then.  Well maybe not as much as the Enfields, but hey.

manton1.thumb.jpeg.2283d35ecd4ed1ab4e19250df9988c79.jpeg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Yes, astonishingly good, to the point that their discontinuation makes no sense to me given that, while expensive (£2-3k), so are Fenders, EBMMs and many other production line basses, and these are not production line basses, certainly not in the sense of the big manufacturers. The engineering, mechanical and electrical, is of an extremely high level in both design and execution - the only thing I don't like are the PUP LEDs but it's simple to take them out of the loop - and the sheer quality of the resultant instrument would still be impressive if they were in the £5-6k range. 

And no, no cheap supply I'm afraid, they're not made anymore (I got lucky with both to be honest). I was speaking to a guy in 'the business' a while back who seemed to suggest that there was, shall we say, some opposition to the Enfield line, as well as a lot of criticism of there being 'derivative' (which is odd as nearly all top end basses with a few exceptions are derivative in one way or another), and oddly I've also heard they have been accused of plagiarising Wal? Anyway, I'm fortunate to have two beautiful Enfields, and having met Martin and seen his work first hand - not just the quality but the precision and the passion - only makes me more appreciative of them.  

What?! They’ve stopped making the pickups too? I thought it was only the Enfield basses that had been discontinued. 

17 hours ago, Dazed said:

What?! They’ve stopped making the pickups too? I thought it was only the Enfield basses that had been discontinued. 

Apologies, assumed you were talking about the basses 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

No - still around

https://www.sims.guitars/pickups

Its weird that Enfields are still advertised

It is, I messaged them a few months back as I was hoping to have some work done on one of the Enfields. A couple of weeks later I received a very short but polite reply which simply said 'we are no longer working from our workshop'. Links to but the PUPs are still live, but no links to buy the basses, so I'm assuming PUPs are still being made. Certainly a great upgrade to an instrument, and given the cost of top-end PUPs generally these days  - I'm guessing the vast majority of which are imported from the US - really not all that expensive 👍