Why become a member? ×

Peavey Milestone worth turning into a project bass

chenzo_1

A mate of mine is selling his peavey milestone for £35 is it worth buying it ripping the frets out, whackin in some nice pups and adding an a nice set of flatwounds?

If i ever decided to sell it on after woulds would i be able to break even?

thoughts and comments please!!

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='475869' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:05 PM']A mate of mine is selling his peavey milestone for £35 is it worth buying it ripping the frets out, whackin in some nice pups and adding an a nice set of flatwounds?[/quote]

It's worth it for an experiment, but not much else.

[quote]If i ever decided to sell it on after woulds would i be able to break even?[/quote]

No. Keep the original pups and if you sell on, whip out your nice ones and put them in something else. Put back in the old pups. You'll probably still lose a little because you ripped the frets out.

[quote name='chenzo_1' post='475869' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:05 PM']A mate of mine is selling his peavey milestone for £35 is it worth buying it ripping the frets out, whackin in some nice pups and adding an a nice set of flatwounds?

If i ever decided to sell it on after woulds would i be able to break even?

thoughts and comments please!![/quote]

I've got a couple of these basses, both second-hand, and I think they're pretty good as they come: light weight, nice neck, well-balanced. Hardware isn't the best, but it's not crap either. As I've said on other threads, I had one of these and a Fender Aerodyne Jazz for a while, and I honestly couldn't say either sounded better than the other - except that the Peavey hummed less when recording, so in the end I sold the Fender and bought another Peavey (I like to have 2 basses so I can keep one in each location I regularly play). I paid about £50 each for mine, second-hand, including gigbags. At £35 you really can't go far wrong. I'd say, buy it and live with it for a while as is - it may surprise you.

Just my 2p's worth.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='476230' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:57 PM']I've got a couple of these basses, both second-hand, and I think they're pretty good as they come: light weight, nice neck, well-balanced. Hardware isn't the best, but it's not crap either. As I've said on other threads, I had one of these and a Fender Aerodyne Jazz for a while, and I honestly couldn't say either sounded better than the other - except that the Peavey hummed less when recording, so in the end I sold the Fender and bought another Peavey (I like to have 2 basses so I can keep one in each location I regularly play). I paid about £50 each for mine, second-hand, including gigbags. At £35 you really can't go far wrong. I'd say, buy it and live with it for a while as is - it may surprise you.

Just my 2p's worth.[/quote]

I have Just purchased a Peavey Milestone iv for £30 off e bay. I have tuned it B E A D and I use it instead of my Five stringer as I dont get on too well with the wide neck associated with a five string bass.
I have set it up with the action as low as it will go and put the b e a d strings on from a new five string set.
It sounds cool and comfortable to play.

Do it!

I had one of these as my first ever bass - and I still think they are brilliant for the money. I subsequently went on to stick a badass II on it, add a bartolini preamp and tweak the neck, and it was great! Very well balanced, lightweight, LOVELY neck. I used it as my main bass fretted for at least a year before I bought my Fender Urge.

I think these basses have a lot of potential. I was rocking/funking/slapping/tapping away and loving every minute of it!

I also had one of these as my first bass but stuck it in the loft once I got a 'proper' bass. A couple of months ago I brought it back down again and was surprised at how well it played, though the sound did let it down.

Interested in the mods you have all carried out - is the Badass II a straightforward swap? The pre-amp? Changing the pups? I have never done anything like this before so would be interested to do it as a learning exercise.