Why become a member? ×

Gallery of Modded Monster Mutants

Baloney Balderdash

So this is the thread to show off your modded basses.

Of course this is just another excuse to get yet another chance to show off my beloved just 28.6" scale length Ibanez Mikro Bass, which I named "Dud Bottomfeeder".

So here are the mods done to it:

- The outstanding Maple neck with a 12" radius Rosewood fretboard from my December 2010 Chinese production Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass transplanted to the unusually light Mahogany body of a 2017 Indonesia production Ibanez GSRM20B Mikro Bass.

- The stock pickups pulled out, the P pickup replaced for an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup soldered directly to the output jack socket, and the J pickup replaced with a folded piece of black cardboard.

- The stock side mounted barrel type output jack socket pulled out and replaced with a regular jack socket (the one EMG included with the Geezer P pickup), mounted in one of the redundant pot holes.

- The stock knobs on the 2 remaining pots changed and replaced with 2 transparent and black lampshade knobs, to which cut to shape pieces of respectively green and red colored electrical tape (also known as insulating tape) has been applied to the top of.

- Pieces of red electrical tape has been applied to the top of the P pickup.

- A Jack Skellington (character from Tim Burton's animated movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas") skull sticker has been applied to the body above the bridge. 

- Small stickers that came with the Sherman Filterbank 2 filter/synth I once owned has been applied to the headstock.

(also the stock black bridge mounting screws has unintentional been replaced, since this otherwise original stock bridge at some point had been transplanted to the original body of the neck. Ah, yeah, the intonation screws and springs of the 2 upper strings has been replaced by the way too, by two regular chrome colored screws and springs, rather than the stock black ones, as I used those for another bass, but actually quite like how that looks.)

And here is the beast itself (respectively the most recent shot, and a slightly older but much better shot):

image.thumb.png.80e6aa64025045fa8b732021c41bc005.pngimage.thumb.png.b16597ec65b96a1b89ddadfff745cf8d.png

By the way equipped with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, of the gauges .080 - .062  - .046 - .036, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings to not fall through the bridge string mounting holes (2 black ones for the 2 lower strings, with the black intonation screws, respectively, and 2 brass colored ones for the 2 upper strings, with the chrome colored intonation screws, respectively), and tuned to G standard tuning, that is 3 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I suppose I'll have to add my Rickenfaker headless bodge to mutants then, some will have seen the "Ricky's had his head chopped off" build thread so no point repeating the details. 

IMG_20230227_123719.jpg

Well, I for one haven't seen that thread, so please throw a link.

Looks like a DiMarzio Relentless Neck pickup, at least, and then obvious the stock bridge pickup being replaced with some sort of J pickup, right?

Here is my mutant Honcore.  The uber-light body of a short scale double cut Encore into which has been spliced the gorgeous 32" scale neck of a Hondo II H1015 which seems to fit my hand just perfectly.  Needed some routing at the neck pocket and a new bridge shifting back and mounting on a shim but, overall, it has worked a treat.  A little neck dive but not as much as you would imagine.  Entwistle PBXN pickup, sounds immense - Fender flavoured but a different look.  Weighs in at 3.1kg now. 

There's the old neck sat at the back - it was very slightly twisted otherwise I'd have most likely kept it on there but because of the twist I got it for a song.

IMG_20191204_134909.thumb.jpg.319886b6801395a31d0bc2b9704d63bb.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, I for one haven't seen that thread, so please throw a link.

Looks like a DiMarzio Relentless neck pickup, at least, and then obvious the stock bridge pickup being replaced with some sort of J pickup, right?

It's in the build diaries thing as   Ricky's Had His Head Chopped Off.. BOSH..!  not sure how you'd do a link. 

The PUs are just the cheapo crap ones that came with it, I've got a MM pickup I may poss put in the bridge pos, it's still a work in progress, tho I've been having fun just playing with it currently 😁

• Like 1

I suppose I'll have to add my Rickenfaker headless bodge to mutants then, some will have seen the "Ricky's had his head chopped off" build thread so no point repeating the details. 

IMG_20230227_123719.jpg

45 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

It's in the build diaries thing as   Ricky's Had His Head Chopped Off.. BOSH..!  not sure how you'd do a link. 

The PUs are just the cheapo crap ones that came with it, I've got a MM pickup I may poss put in the bridge pos, it's still a work in progress, tho I've been having fun just playing with it currently 😁

Thanks.

And here's how you share a post: Just press the "Share" icon from the drop down menu in the upper left corner of the post you wish to share, copy ([Ctrl] + [C]) the highlighted link in the pop up box, and then paste ([Ctrl] + [V]) it where ever you desire:

• Like 1

Just been given this, apparently it's been left out in someone's garden for a bit & it was going out to the dustmen next week. 

I plugged it in and the PUs even still work after wiggling the selector about a bit, thanks to the Floyd rose thingy it was not far off being in tune either 🤣

Hmm I'll have to think of a "monstrous mod" won't I.. 

IMG_20230409_134730.jpg

IMG_20230409_134757.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

I think the big mod's already been decided for you, old chap!

Headless then? 😁

In fact that break is a common thing apparently with this kind of Git... looks to me like it'd glue and clamp up and likely be OK, lots of YouTube vids with virtually the identical neck and break, clearly a bad design. 

That said the Floyd rose nut would be a perfect string clamp for a headless mod. 

The fretboard is splitting off all down one side of the neck too, so I'd have to steam and knife it all off and reglue, I'll do that first coz if that won't play nicely the neck is scrap. 

That said the Floyd rose nut would be a perfect string clamp for a headless mod. 

My thinking exactly.  Given that 80% of the work has been done for you you might as well just get that board sorted, whip the remains of the headstock off and get some bridge tuners on.

26 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

My thinking exactly.  Given that 80% of the work has been done for you you might as well just get that board sorted, whip the remains of the headstock off and get some bridge tuners on.

If I do that, bear in mind I'd have to carve out a big square hole where the Floyd rose is and glue a solid block in to blank it off & abolish all that malarkey, obviously any headless tuners can't work with the FR still in place (not that I can immediately dream up anyway) 

I'm even having absurd fantasies about making it a short Scale bass.. 

Or worse still a twin neck with the Rickthing.... 

shakinghead.gif

Edited by Waddo Soqable

17 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

bear in mind I'd have to carve out a big square hole where the Floyd rose is and glue a solid block in to blank it off & abolish all that malarkey

I think that's what should be done with any Floyd!  In all seriousness, some gap-filling would be necessary but also quite enjoyable, I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

I think that's what should be done with any Floyd!  In all seriousness, some gap-filling would be necessary but also quite enjoyable, I think.

You're no doubt quite correct, the FR on these is supposed to be a bit crap by all accounts anyway, not that I'm a gitar-wrist at all. 

If I go down the 'edless route I'll possibly look at devising a home made set of h/less tuners too, as anything purchased in that line seems to be disproportionately expensive, and it'd be fun to keep this project as near to freebie as poss 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly monstrous as yet but I glued the HS back on the wrecked Ibanez Git I rescued, and stuck a bit of veneer on the front as much for reinforcement as appearance.( Like a tw@t I broke a corner off my nice lil' veneer. :( ) the repair seems strong enough to me, and a fair few on 'tinternet when I researched it have reglued these successfully. 

The fretboard was splitting away on one edge too so that was a case of hot iron and butter knife to prise it off and reglue it back on as best I could. 

Even if I do a headless thing from it I still needed to glue the busted off bit back, in order to make a clean across cut rather than leave the jagged snap line. I'll prob bung some git-strings on it and see what it says before deciding wtf to do with it further... 

IMG_20230422_190014.jpg

IMG_20230422_185953.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, i have a few.

My handmade tone monster! All made from planks of wood. Just recently dropped the mudbucker in.

This is the most amazing sounding bass buy it weighs a ton. 

Ive been rocking it as my main for the last few weeks.

20230412_140043.thumb.jpg.9ae853c28235678eb07dffbe4f9cc026.jpg20230412_141309.thumb.jpg.399229de497060d1e8b1a00031a80284.jpg

And then my forever main. A 98 MIA jazz that i heavily modified.

Seymour Duncan antiquity IIs

BadAss II bridge

Mother of peral pickguard

Nitro can refinish in LPB metallic (Was 3TS)

Lusithand single NFP jazz plate preamp

20221125_173421.thumb.jpg.0cdec8a730b658061277bea08baffef5.jpg

• Like 2