Why become a member? ×

Dingwall owners - 4 string neck question

Gareth Hughes

Hi all - I've been bitten by the Dingwall bug but have none nearby to try. So a question to you 4 string Dingwall owners - with the nut width being slanted (45.5mm on a 4 string D-Roc for example) - does anyone have an idea of what that translates to on the parallel side of things? In other words - in the hand, does the neck feel like a 38mm Jazz neck or a 42mm Precision neck, etc? Thanks in advance, Gareth

Wider than a jazz, narrower than a P if I recall correctly. At least that's what it felt like to me G! I believe I did measure the one I had (long gone now I'm afraid!) but can't find the details now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Hi all - I've been bitten by the Dingwall bug but have none nearby to try. So a question to you 4 string Dingwall owners - with the nut width being slanted (45.5mm on a 4 string D-Roc for example) - does anyone have an idea of what that translates to on the parallel side of things? In other words - in the hand, does the neck feel like a 38mm Jazz neck or a 42mm Precision neck, etc? Thanks in advance, Gareth

To me, it feels wide.  I have had a few 4 string Dingwalls and long term have never got on with them.  Defintely a P feel for me, but I never measured it.  Defintely doesn't feel anything like a 38mm neck.

• Like 1

My NG2 & D roc 4 strings both have a fairly wide neck but not quite P bass,they are both very comfortable for me.

Personally I don't get on with skinny J bass type necks.

I bought  a new 4 string ABZ which I stupidly assumed would have a similar neck to my other Dingwalls,however it was far too skinny for me so was moved on.

It was passive & sounded weedy whatever setting I used,I even tried some other pickups but it was totally blown away by my D roc.

• Like 1