Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pedal option paralysis

Quatschmacher

• 4 months later...

This is still ongoing. Shifted a couple of things, have managed to acquire a few new things, a couple of which a definite keepers, one of which I’ve decided not to keep. Have listed a few more.

Got the following up for sale now

Source Audio: Aftershock, Nemesis delay and Ventris reverb.

Maestro Orbit phaser. 

Kind of regretting selling my Wombtone MKII a bit now and attempted to buy another. Got outbid on it at the weekend.

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I did end up selling my analogue octavers (might regret that). Also let my MuTron Microtron go because I found a digital pedal that is almost indistinguishable. Down to 17 now, only 5 are analogue. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

At the moment the list is:

Panda Audio Future Impact I and V4

Source Audio C4

Source Audio Lunar

Source Audio Spectrum

Source Audio Collider

Source Audio Ventris

Source Audio Atlas

Source Audio Nemesis ADT

Source Audio Bass ZIO

MXR Bass Envelope Filter

Singular Sound Beat Buddy

TC Electronic June 60 Chorus

Broughton Audio Fliptop

MXR Phase 95

Plus something I can’t disclose yet.

I’m selling the June 60 chorus. 

I’m fairly sure I’ll get another analogue octaver though. The one in the C4/Spectrum is very good but isn’t quite the same. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I've gotta say, I've only recently gone through the cycle of downsizing and selling pedals to go as minimal as I can with a small multi-fx (Boss GT 1000 Core, my third one!) but already I'm eyeing up individual pedals on this forum and elsewhere!

What I'm asking myself is: Can the GT 1000 Core 1000 that I have sound/work better than or be more fun than:

• FI V4 for Synth = No
  • Analogue envelope filter = No
  • SA EQ2 = Sort of, the Core can do all the same stuff (and probably more) but I think I'd prefer he EQ2 display showing what the EQ is doing and having a pedal specifically to go through EQ presets.
  • Idiotbox Blowerbox Deluxe = No (the Core drives are good, but from what I remember of the Blowerbox it sounds a bit better.
  • Cali 76 Bass mk2 = No (the Core compressor is good, but I'd prefer better metering and hands on controls) 
  • Tuner = Draw (and the EQ2 could perhaps stand-in as tuner)
  • LS2: Sort of, I need to switch between Basses, the Core can do this but it takes some preset planning and takes a valuable footswitch and isn't quite as obvious as footswitch to change input with 'red light/green light'

.......but the GT obviously also has all the other effects and routing options and would sell for about £370 whereas the individual pedals would be about £1k and more bulky to move around. A bit Heart vs Mind.

So if you are anything like me, it becomes a cycle (one where the high frequency is starting to annoy me). I think my conclusion has to just be that I enjoy it.

Edited by SumOne

37 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I've gotta say, I've only recently gone through the cycle of downsizing and selling pedals to go as minimal as I can with a small multi-fx (Boss GT 1000 Core, my third one!) but already I'm eyeing up individual pedals on this forum and elsewhere!

What I'm asking myself is: Can the GT 1000 Core 1000 that I have sound/work better than or be more fun than:

• FI V4 for Synth = No
  • Analogue envelope filter = No
  • SA EQ2 = Sort of, the Core can do all the same stuff (and probably more) but I think I'd prefer he EQ2 display showing what the EQ is doing and having a pedal specifically to go through EQ presets.
  • Idiotbox Blowerbox Deluxe = No (the Core drives are good, but from what I remember of the Blowerbox it sounds a bit better.
  • Cali 76 Bass mk2 = No (the Core compressor is good, but I'd prefer better metering and hands on controls) 
  • Tuner = Draw (and the EQ2 could perhaps stand-in as tuner)
  • LS2: Sort of, I need to switch between Basses, the Core can do this but it takes some preset planning and takes a valuable footswitch and isn't quite as obvious as footswitch to change input with 'red light/green light'

.......but the GT obviously also has all the other effects and routing options and would sell for about £370 whereas the individual pedals would be about £1k and more bulky to move around. A bit Heart vs Mind.

So if you are anything like me, it becomes a cycle (one where the high frequency is starting to annoy me). I think my conclusion has to just be that I enjoy it.

For me, much of my setup was centred around synth sounds, but since getting my keys chops to a reasonable standard now I feel I’ll do all that stuff on keys. (The exception is the FI as it is a synth and I’m still heavily involved in its development.) Hence I’ve shifted a bunch of stuff that I was using to do synth sounds.

I definitely enjoy the process of trying stuff out but seem to have moved onto bigger toys with synths. Still, I’m trying to look at what I’m using to make music versus what I’m just using to muck around with. I’m really trying to pare down to what I’m most likely to use regularly and for bass, aside from the FI, that’s likely to be envelope filter, phaser, octaver and a preamp. (The delay and reverb stuff is good in conjunction with the synths. I still need to get my head around compression.)

Oh, and regarding analogue envelope filter, wait until you get your hands on the thing I cannot name yet, it may well change your mind. It really is that good. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Oh, and regarding analogue envelope filter, wait until you get your hands on the thing I cannot name yet, it may well change your mind. It really is that good. 

Exciting! 

My issue with digital envelope filters might well just be bias in my head. It's not so much that they sound different A/B with analogue in recordings, it's more that they've never felt quite as good to play - perhaps the way they are can be dialled in with physical dials, or very small delay for processing. 

12 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Exciting! 

My issue with digital envelope filters might well just be bias in my head. It's not so much that they sound different A/B with analogue in recordings, it's more that they've never felt quite as good to play - perhaps the way they are can be dialled in with physical dials, or very small delay for processing. 

Feel is the only detectable difference in this one. More precisely, it’s the way the envelope decay time changes when playing harder and softer. There’s very little in it though and this digital one is plenty responsive. Has a good knobby interface too so not lacking at all for hands-on panel control. 

• Like 2