Why become a member? ×

Compact & Lightweight Rack Units?

Undertone

Have a look at Boschma and EMS rack cases. 

The problem with rack cases is hardly ever the case itself but the weight of the gear in them. I have an EMS 3U deep case, which is feather-light when empty. However when full (MacBook, Focusrite Scarlet Interface, ART DTI Box, Patch Panel, PSUs cables etc.) it's suddenly a lot more heavy. Just taking the computer out makes a very noticeable difference.

22 hours ago, Undertone said:

https://www.boschmacases.com   seems to no longer exist!

Have a look at EMS cases then. Their system comes in two depths and is modular in 3U units, so if you find you want to more stuff later, you can simply get the relevant extensions. The cases also have rack attachments back and front which is essential for securing heavy amps properly.

• Like 1

Thanks. Indeed it's an SVT3Pro I'm hauling, plus and SVP=CL pre-amp.  4.8kg Thon case is heavier than I was looking for. I'm sure there must be something out there lighter, I was hoping for much lighter (eg. carbon fibre). I know I'm sounding fussy...

I wouldn't bet on carbon fibre being much lighter than an ABS one - the latches and rails will likely be the same so it's just a few fairly small panels that will benefit. The bigger the box then the more benefit you'll achieve so a fairly small box won't save much. And it will cost a shedload more.

I work in the bicycle trade and it's a common misconception that carbon is lighter than aluminium. It isn't. You can build a much lighter alloy bike if you use the right material and builder. Carbon is used mainly because you can tune the stiffness directionally with it and people will pay more for it.

If you unplug the connecting leads between the preamp and the amp you'll probably save more weight.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

Carbon is definitely lighter than Aluminium, less than half in fact.....  but I grant you the issue about latches etc., size benefit and cost (I have carbon cases for some of my instruments but the maker (Wiseman) doesn't do rack units).  Nevertheless, there are plenty of 3U cases at 3.8kg so I'm just exploring to see if I can get anything like 2-2.5kg.

I already unplug pre-power leads.

I have a nice (slightly dated) carbon Pinarello FP3 here too - more than adequate for my needs - I'd never spend Dogma money...

Regards

I would think a 12kg SVT 3Pro would negate any real notion of saving substantial weight once installed in any rack case. A couple of kg won't feel a lot but I suspect the dent in your wallet for a full 3U carbon fibre case if there is such a thing that weighs only 2.5kg would be a lot more painful to carry! Actually, an SVT7 pro only weighs around 7kg, thats a 5kg lighter option if fitted in a decent polycarbonate or Aluminium case 🙂 I did have a look for CF cases ( ECS make them as well as composite versions), and also injection moulded types as alternatives but couldn't find off the shelf CF stuff and the injection molded cases were around twice the weight of conventional cases. ECS make a 4U composite case but it weighs 21kg. I am super interested to see if anyone on BC can find what you are looking for. I suspect though it doesnt exist (yet!) and if it does, it will be eyewateringly expensive in comparison with AL or Poly cases.

I will certainly feel that 2kg saving and I need to take care with my back. I also don't use Class D amps generally - I have a TH-500 for when I absolutely can't take a Class A-B. Basically, given the Ampeg is 12kg, I don't want to add 5 more.  If what I started exploring here doesn't exist (and it would appear it doesn't in a realistic sense) then so be it. Thanks for all the references all. This threat could be closed. Regards.

There are always options. Just saying I can't find any commercially available rack case that weighs 2.5kg. Even with a 5kg rack case, you would in theory only be adding an extra 2.5kg over your ideal 2.5kg CF case. Thats about the combined weight of the front and back lids on a typical 3U or 4U case so if you were prepared to use the rack without the lids that would get you to within 0.5kg of your target weight. I've seen plenty players over the years use open rack cases with no front or back as its more about the convenience of having the kit in one box, in effect just like an amp sleeve. The kit still has some protection from the main part of the case and theres some weight saving by not having the front and rear lids on it. A comercially available nylon padded case might also get you down to about 4kg which would be 1.5kg over your target 2.5 kg weight. I've always found the best approach to having a lightweight rack system is to start with the rack of choice and then fill it with lightweight stuff.