Why become a member? ×

Hiya

LowB_FTW

Hello there!

Long-time lurker here, decided to make the jump and start posting.

My name is Mark and I’m not going to do the cliché of standing up and saying I’m an alcoholic a bass player. I will, however, say that I play bass, but I’m NOT a bass player.

(There’s a TL:DR at the end of the post for those with limited time/attention span.)

I picked up my first bass when I was about 18, a pillar-box red Squier Precision 4-string.

I was getting along with it just fine until one day I was playing a little too enthusiastically and swung it around and I caught one of the tuners on a wall and it bent 90º (tuner, not wall).

Tried bending it back with just my hands and slipped and gashed the heel part of my thumb open, spent hrs in A&E waiting room only to benefit from a nurse prodding in the wound with tweezers pulling out tiny shards of chrome plating.

So I went to a local shop for repairs (the bass, not my hand) and found a 5-string that I picked up and instantly fell in love with, part-exchanged the Squier and never looked back.

I still have the 5-string, it’s a Maison 129p, which has a lovely sound when I put it through my amp (Vox AC50 head and Vox VR115 cab).

Since then I’ve bought a Washburn AB-34, which is absolutely lovely but I really wanted the AB-35 (which is the 5-string version of the AB-34 4-string).

I looked and waited and waited and waited for an AB-35 to come available to me and I think I’ve only seen about 3 for sale in the last 10/15 years in the UK - the first I had no money to buy, the second I almost snagged but someone beat me to it by moments and the third I actually got!

Right now I’m GASing HARD for a custom Sandberg Forty Eight, either that or a custom-made from the ground up to my personal specs. (The Ashdown was bought with this in mind), and I think that will be me as far as gear acquisition is concerned.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface and a Vox amPlug2 AP2-BS headphone amp.

I play just for me. Always have done. Came very close to forming a band with a mate once, but that ended up not happening.

So, here I am. This is me. Hiya. *wave*

TL;DR

Name :

Mark

Gear :

Maison 129p 5-string

Washburn AB-34

Washburn AB-35

Ashdown Lodestone Primal Artist 5-string (in transit as I post this.)

Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Vox amPlug2 AP2-BS

Vox AC50

Vox VR115

WANT :

Sandberg Forty Eight 5 custom OR a custom 5-string to my personal specs.

(Leaning heavily towards the custom personal.)

52780959535_6213ca1f77.jpg
Flickr Link

52780545066_d1dea4a968.jpg
Flickr Link

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Welcome...errrr.. drooling over the Vox hd and box.. worth a small fortune in Australia..

They came as a package deal, a long time ago and for the princely sum of £150 - I say princely sum, because that amount was a full months wages for me at that time.

Picked up from a newspaper ad. and I had to get a friend to drive me because there was no way I was carrying that amp head back, it weighs a tonne!

Mark

15 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Welcome @LowB_FTW. At last, someone else who plays acoustic basses...

I absolutely love my AB-35.

I mean, I love the 4-string, but the 5 is where's at for me. I was wanting one for so long and was sooooo happy when I finally snagged the one I have now.

Thanks for the welcome as well.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LowB_FTW said:

They came as a package deal, a long time ago and for the princely sum of £150 - I say princely sum, because that amount was a full months wages for me at that time.

Picked up from a newspaper ad. and I had to get a friend to drive me because there was no way I was carrying that amp head back, it weighs a tonne!

Mark

1 hour ago, LowB_FTW said:

Mark

A friend of mine had a Vox 130? watt valve hd circa late 70s?.? Not sure exactly, but it sounded huge with 2 JBL d130 15s...

And weighed lots more than F b/man 100 or Marshall bass 100.

I'm pretty sure it was classA/B too , not classA (AC 15/30) is ac50 class A or a/b ??

Again, love your rig , deserves to b gigged!!