Why become a member? ×

Warwick

bigjimmyc

Quite fond of mine too! Both are German Streamer LX's, the 4-string is a 2002 and the 5-string is a 2003 I think - I don't have them at hand right now, I'm at work. The 5-string was my main axe for a few years. It rarely leaves my rack anymore, but I could never bring myself to sell it. I changed the worn gold hardware to black. The 4-string is played regularly :)

1995672503_DSC_4810small.thumb.jpg.256943ba03ccdd5b60d965ba7f9ee61a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigjimmyc said:

I’m a Warwick fan, not least because they have a big range of lefties. 

Does anyone have the knowledge to filter left handed only on shop.warwick.de?

299611DB-4929-49EA-AB7B-5CE455E4D164.jpeg

I've never been able to find a way to do this. I generally just open the product page and search for 'left'.

• Like 1

Warwick used to make every bass available lefty and/ or fretless. I say used to because I remember them saying that when they only made basses in Germany and a brand new German made $$ was £800. Obviously things are different now!

I've owned two Warwick's: a German Streamer LX which was lovely but just not quite perfect (it's been through a few different owners and is now on Reverb at more than three times what I paid for it in the early 2000s) and a Korean made four strong fretless which sounded very good but felt a bit cheap. I played a second hand four string $$ in a music shop a few years back and it's neck was like Giant Haystack's thigh. I didn't mind the meaty neck on my 70s reissue precision but this was utterly ridiculous.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have always been a big Warwick fan. From the first time I picked one up in a random music store in the mid 90's, it was like an instant love affair!

Am sure as many of us can attest, being LH, wasn't like there was always a whole heap of choice way back when was starting out. As mentioned in another thread, my first was a Fender P-Bass, and in 12yo me's hand's it felt like trying to wrestle a battleship. For one reason or another, I've really never liked Fenders ever since (maybe because of that early experience/stigma), and then had a relatively cheap 2nd hand Ibanez, which did the trick for what I was needing but never really felt it was ~ mine ~, but when came across the Warwicks, it was like everything just felt right, even if it were upside down for me. The feel, the tone, the look, everything. Just upside down, lol.

After many repeated visits to a store closer to home that stocked Warwicks (and wishing I were RH, as they only ever had RH models in the store) ended up ordering a LH Corvette Std 4 and it took about 4-5 months to finally arrive and it really was my weapon of choice for years. Eventually around mid-2005 she ended up getting damaged in a housefire while i was travelling overseas. Devastated.

Currently I have two basses - both Warwicks.

A 2010 LH Thumb BO4.

A 2017 LH RB Starbass 4.

Life happens and it took a while to get back into playing again and after another string of basses that had gathered but never really felt that attachment (and have subsequently dispensed with), eventually got this Thumb BO4, more from being right place at the right time and baby, I was in love again. In the last few years have started putting flats on her and that's given me yet another resurgence and lease on life. Slap was never really my strong suite anyhow and no longer in a punk band, lol, so don't mind sacrifcing some of the punch to get the warmer tone am getting now.

I got the Starbass as was wanting something that could give more of the vintage type of feel and tone. Initially I got a little frustrated with that one, partly because being med scale (32in) rather than the full scale and seemed to take a while of not quite getting it right, but the more and more I've played her, increasingly she has become my go-to. I've not gigged in a long, long time (and no plans to), and haven't recorded anything with anyone else while playing this one, so I don't know about that, but maybe just I'm at that stage in life she just feels and produces the tones that I have been wanting for what I'm playing more of nowadays.

Have bought some LaBella flats to put on the Starbass when time comes to replace the strings on there (still plenty of life in the ones on atm), but am looking forward to seeing how this alters also, out of curiousity as much as anything.

Anyhow, have pics of them on my iphone. Have no idea how to get them off of there though from the options I can find (yes, i know am an old bastard, lol). If I can figure it out, I will add these.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...