Why become a member? ×

HB MB-5 StingFake5 Fretless 5 String - READ DESCRIPTION **PENDING**
£125
Lowestoft

carlsim

Putting up for sale my Harley Benton MB-5 SBK Deluxe Series - what I call my StingFake5 Fretless Bass. Currently strung with Rotosound Flats.

I wanted to have a 5 string fretless in my arsenal and I wanted a project. I had just finished reviving my Xotic which I really enjoyed and I wondered... what's next? So, I decided I wanted a fretless 5 string. I love fretless and can now play it quite well so am going to treat myself to something a bit lighter to use on gigs and something a bit more 'special'! Anyway... it is a standard Harley Benton MB-5 SBK - the stealth black one. However, as you can see, I have made a few modifications. I really enjoy playing it and originally, it was just for my studio but I want to gig with a fretless and this is just a bit too heavy for my poor back!

So... the mods...

Firstly, the defret. I'm quite an able person and quite meticulous with work I do on basses. I love to tinker. Go to the builds thread and find my Xotic renovation and although not a luthier by any means, I can do a decent job. So, i removed the frets with a soldering iron to heat the fretwire and managed to remove the frets with minimal tear out. Not a professional job by any means, but not bad. I filled the fret lines with a black 2 pack filler (not the cheap wood filler putty stuff) as my intention was to create a 'almost' unlined look (you can still see the lines but they aren't that stand out'y'), sanded until lovely and smooth and the used a spray poly finish on the fingerboard. I was going to epoxy it buy I had this poly laquer laying around so i thought, why not! It was a vintage poly so the dot have taken a yellow-ish hue but I kind of liked the look! Wet and dry sanded, a good buff and it come up with a nice sheen. It's not glossy, that wasn't what I was after but it has a nice look. I have some very minor grain which could have done with being rubbed down again and re-done, but there you go. It isn't perfect, but it has a nice mwah and plays nicely just as a fretless should!

Secondly, I added some better tuners. These came from a Sire V7 bass I upgraded a while and were a big improvement on the HB ones. I also  prefer a bit of chrome against the black. Hence the knobs as well.

Finally, I added a Warman MM5 pickup - much nicer than the stock and as I was after a original stingray EQ, and I added the Artec SE-2 active EQ. Routed a battery box in the back and it sounds a darn sight more versatile than it did when it was a passive VVT set up. For reference it does have a main volume, blend and stacked 2 band eq. The blend selects the two coils of the pup. I left it in the middle and it was always my intention to add the retrovibe stinger pre with a series / parallel switch. I just never got round to it.

You will notice the headstock and scratchplate is white - i love a black / white look and this is only a vinyl wrap which can easily be removed if you so wish. I can throw in the original pup and tuners with the same (if someone wants them). I added a cheeky Stingray5 logo for s***s and gigs.

It isn't a Shuker or even a Sire, what it is a cheap and honest bass which if you fancy a five string fretless without spending too much cash, could be worth a look. Hell, you could probably strip it for spares if you fancied! It's just the bass and doesn't come with a gig bag - I will get some more pics when I get a chance as it's busy busy at the moment. Collection welcome in Lowestoft - I'm Bury St Edmunds way next Saturday if that helps anyone and Saxmundham way this Saturday. I could post neck off for a cheaper postage option but I doubt anyone will want to splash £30 on postage for this...

Happy to answer any questions and take pics of anything specific. Could be tempted by trades in something interesting... If you have an 5 string fretless of a higher value, I could add some dosh possibly if that appeals.   

B6158909-6ACB-44CE-AEF8-11F51A1DCA51.jpeg

1D0CEC68-2414-4D6B-AB8E-766CE1A77CF3.jpeg

55CD73DF-CFFD-4D45-A66B-B3D01A586DE2.jpeg

Edited by carlsim
Photos
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Definitely interested, I am looking at fretless 5s as a bit of an experiment.  The only problem is that Lowestoft is over three hours and about 60 quid's worth of petrol away from me. 😧

As i mentioned, I could look at costs for a neck off postage...

• Like 1

It’s not lightweight to be sure… got to be 4.5kg/10lbs or so… to be honest I don’t have any means to weigh it (the wife got rid of our bathroom scales!! 😂😂😂)

i have a HB JB75 and it certainly isn’t as heavy as that - they are used to secure dead bodies to river floors!

• Haha 1

• carlsim changed the title to HB MB-5 StingFake5 Fretless 5 String - READ DESCRIPTION **PENDING**