Why become a member? ×

Ampeg RB210 vs Fender Rumble 500

dclaassen

Another vote for the Rumble 500 v3 as a solid, loud, general-purpose workhorse. I'm yet to find an Ampeg that I like as much in a mix as I do on its own, whereas the Rumble maybe sounds less remarkable on its own but works better for me in the context of a live band. Just my opinion, of course. I normally play Markbass/Barefaced if that gives any indication of the ballpark tone I'm after from my gear.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 03:55, lonestar said:

Before I switched to my Markbass 210 set up I heaved an Ashdown 4x10 and 1X15 around. It was when the 1x15 blew and I gigged the 4x10 solo that I saw (heard!) the light. much prefer 10s and never worried about lack of bottom, in fact a lot of rooms I have cut the bass back a little.

The positive side to this is that now you know why folk say that pairing a 1x15 with a 4x10 is a terrible idea. Sorry you had to find out the hard way! :(

On 24/02/2023 at 09:24, dclaassen said:

How unreasonable is it not to trust 10" speakers to give you a full, rich sound? I've gigged with 4x15's (never again), 1x15, 1 x 18, 1 x 12 (inadequate) and 4 x 12. I like an old school sound. 

10s are quite capable of giving you a full, rich sound. My Acme B2 cabinets are amazing.

I attended an open jam on Queen St, Downtown Toronto. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the supplied bass amp handled the Low B of my six string. It had no trouble pumping it out. When I asked what the amp was I was told it was a Fender Rumble350 combo with 2x10s. I don't think you can go wrong with a Rumble.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

The positive side to this is that now you know why folk say that pairing a 1x15 with a 4x10 is a terrible idea. Sorry you had to find out the hard way! :(

It was a long time ago! However it still seems that the 4x10+1x15 combination dogma is still  a thing for some. 

2 hours ago, lonestar said:

It was a long time ago! However it still seems that the 4x10+1x15 combination dogma is still  a thing for some. 

Sadly this is so true but we can still try to educate. I feel that the pairing first came up when the marketing department of some company or other tried to show multiple cabinets in one photo shoot.

I wanted an "all-in-one" solution, so I purchased the newly released Fender Rumble 800 2x10 Combo (not the "Stage" version), and I find it hard to believe that it only weighs 29 lbs. (13.15 kg), because it's definitely just a one-hand lift.

I'm not in a band at the moment so I've not gigged it yet, but I have used it for jam sessions with friends and it sounds great, and would probably be plenty loud enough on it's own without the need for an extension cab.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Thread resurrection, but just want to add that I used a Fender Rumble 500v3 tonight at a indoor Festival with my Fretless Fender Precision and I was really impressed with it. Loud, punchy and great sounding. My octave pedal sounded amazing through it, so much so that our singer complimented it mid song and then to the audience after. The band on after, the bassist was using a Stingray so different to my bass and he also sounded great. Seriously considering one now after tonight's gig.

• Like 2