Why become a member? ×

NPD - Small OJ Please, I'm Driving!

PaulThePlug

Been Uming and Ahing over one of the 'lil Joyo's... and when i discovered a bit of Amazon Gift Card Balance I got in their quick before the wife or kids got their hands on it!

I'm after that 'Valve Break Cusp' - Burke Shelly Budgie Tone... Fancied the Golden Face to see if does the Marshall Super Bass thing... but the Orange Juice gets a lot of love and is also listed as a Bass effect on the Joyo site.

Found this on YouTube... not great or that comprehensive, but only thing i could find with the Golden Face on Bass, and a direct comparison with the OJ...

"Small OJ please, I'm Driving!"

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

• PaulThePlug changed the title to NPD - Small OJ Please, I'm Driving!

Not tried the Golden Face but the Joyo British is one of my favourite OD boxes. It’s an ugly pink but covers so much more than just Marshall ’in a box’ tones. The voice, drive and mids are extremely interactive and there’s no bottom end loss, plus it never feels like there’s any need to blend the dry signal. Time and time again I come back to this one. It’s worthy of a custom paint job (Union Jack?!) 

Edited by NAS Bass
Typo
  • Like 1

The Joyo Orange Juice is indeed a great drive pedal for bass.

I own and currently actively use no less than 3 of them on my main board.

They do everything from perfectly clean, over just on the verge of tube like breakup, to low gain tube like overdrive that is very sensitive to picking dynamics, and all the way up to a medium gain grindy distortion.

In my opinion what the Orange Juice really excels at either used for lower gain tube like and very touch sensitive overdrive, or a really grindy distortion/higher gain overdrive.

My favorite setting is with Tone set at about 11 o'clock and Voice to about 2 o'clock, then Drive to taste, though at high Drive settings eventual turn the Tone down to about 10 o'clock.

Reacts really well to stacking too, and will tighten up a high gain distortion pedal either placed before or after such, more so with the high gain distortion pedal stacked into it, less so with it stacked into a high gain distortion pedal.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Just arrived... i was aware they were small but blimey! Still wished they were big enough to contain a 9v battery...

I don't use bateries for any of my pedals any way, and I got a crowded pedal board, so personally I appreciate the small size.

But yeah, not that much bigger than a 9V battery the pedal it self.

Also a really nice touch that they incorporated a flipable lid over the knobs, so that your settings are safe from getting knocked out of place.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'm now after a Joyo Jf-326 Irontune... but they seem to be daft £€$ or out of stock...

It is a brilliant tuner. In fact I love the whole Ironman range and have gigged with nothing but them on my board many times.

I still chuckle when people describe Joyo as cheap crap. These are really well made pedals.

• Like 2