Why become a member? ×

So I am curious who else own, use and love their EHX Black Finger (dual tube version), tube driven optical compressor, and how they use it.

I just ordered a used one on Reverb (they have long been out of production), as a backup, just in case something beyond repair should happen to the one that served me well for about 20 years by now, even if that one still is going strong and working flawlessly.

It's probably the one pedal in my collection that I treasure most and it has become an essential part of my setup and tone.

Just makes everything you run through come out much better sounding on the other side, adding an extra layer of depth/harmonic complexity to it.

In my setup actually primarily functioning as a tube preamp stage, with the Pre Gain (input gain) dialed in so that it drives the tubes, which are a pair of EHX 12AX7, that by the way operates at proper high 300V voltage, to just on the verge of breakup, though I do have some very some subtle compression dialed in as well.

These are my current settings:

Pre Gain (input gain/threshold (though as far as i understood somewhat interacting with the Compress control)): Noon position

SQSH/Norm (Squash=long attack, high compression ratio)/Normal=more subtle compression) : Normal mode

Lamp/LED (optical compression source, Lamp=longer attack time, more low end, fatter tone (contrary to what manual states the top end is compressed more and the low end less)/LED=shorter attack time, flatter response, more neutral tone: Lamp mode

Compress (compression ratio (though as far as i understood somewhat interacting with the Pre Gain control)) 8 o'clock position (just a smidge above minimum position, minimum position translating to practically no signal going through the optical compression circuit at all (except for what the full 500kOhm resistance of the pot allows for), which is to say that my setting translates to something like a just 1.5:1 ratio or so)

Post Gain (output/make up gain/master volume): Slightly above unity

It does seem to be one of those pedals that people either love or hate, as should be obvious from what I wrote above I belong to the former group of people, and also I have had absolutely no issues with unwanted noise, contrary what I've seen a lot of claims of.

Here's how it looks (this is of the used one I just ordered on Reverb, not the unit that is currently part of my setup):

image.thumb.png.dd67e63acd0876213fec44d29e374003.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I nearly bought one as I love tube stuff that is light weight but there are varying reviews on them, noise floor issues mentioned and the power adaptor is weird that I backed away from what was a really good deal on one on reverb.

Reality is they are pretty rare most people on this forum won’t have even seen one let alone try one.

6 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

I nearly bought one as I love tube stuff that is light weight but there are varying reviews on them, noise floor issues mentioned and the power adaptor is weird that I backed away from what was a really good deal on one on reverb.

Reality is they are pretty rare most people on this forum won’t have even seen one let alone try one.

As I mentioned, the EHX Black Finger does seem to divide the waters, yes.

You'll have about as many complains about noise as people saying their unit is dead quiet (or that the noise issues are rather minor and totally secondary to how great they think this pedal otherwise is), which I guess might be credited partially to how it specifically has been used by these people respectively, but also unfortunately to be fair partially to the fact that Electro Harmonix are not exactly known for consistency and great quality control.

Now I wouldn't expect anywhere near half of this forum's members to actually have tried one, and even less love and use or have previously used one as part of their main setup, but sure there must be at least some, it isn't THAT rare, and also it does seem to work particularly well for bass and have an actual dedicated fan base of people who love it.

I've seen plenty of threads on this forum that got stuff that is much much more rare, actual rare stuff, as topic receive a far more replies, while I'd claim that the Black Finger doesn't actually really qualifies to be called rare, uncommon for sure, but not to the extend of being obscure or even just rare (at least that is my impression judging from web material on it, including mentions on various forums and blogs, as well as amount and frequency of used sales adds featuring it).

I wouldn't even call fans of it rare, but, as it, as said, really does seem to divide the waters, perhaps people (that is to be understood out of people who actually tried it first hand) who doesn't either hate or love it are a rare breed.

The Black Finger, together with the English Muff'n, are by far the most common out of that, sadly discontinues, big box dual tube series of EHX pedals, the other pedals of that series though sure I'd say probably would qualify within reason to be called rare.

Do another search on it and have a closer look and you will see this.

• 10 months later...
44 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Had one. It worked as advertised but the accompaniment was not in the brochure. Too noisy for me.

Well, mine is as good as perfectly quiet.

The trick is to keep the input level high, it tends to get noisy if you boost the output level too much, which of course is a useless piece of information if you prefer/need a setting where the opposite is required, but works for me.

Also as far as I've gathered allegedly there was quite a bit of inconsistency between units, so you might have gotten a bad one.

Mine has served me well for about 20 years, and I haven't exactly pampered it, still works it's magic noiselessly and flawlessly.   

And actually as far as I am concerned where this pedal really shines and gets magical is if not being used as advertised, but rather primarily being used as a tube preamp stage, with minimal compression dialed in and the input gain (Pre Gain) cranked fairly high to keep the input tube on the verge of breakup.

Hell yeah! Any serious lineup of compressor pedals should include the mighty finger, imho.

I bought mine off of Reverb as a NOS one. Box was still sealed and got all the original stuff with it.

Edges of the metal casing were very sharp so to not risk cutting my fingers I sanded those edges down a bit.

All three these compressors are monstrously good, each in their own way.

comps.thumb.jpg.bea2ea5d4812ca1899f0073914b78b8a.jpg

EDIT:

How I use it? On the edge of breakup. It does this job better with passive basses than active ones, much in the same way my Wren & Cuff 'Phat Phuk' pedal does. Both have more dirt going on in the bottom end and less in the top end.

Recently added an Origin Effects DCX Bass preamp/od pedal which manages the breakup levels better across the spectrum. If you're interested in a tone that's dirty but not too overdriven you might want to look at one of those.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 3