Why become a member? ×

NPD Behringer BDI21

PaulThePlug

Just joined the 'Beady Eye' BDI Club... Cheapest £31.60 delivered via Amazon... What's not to like? So straight forward, and the DI might come in handy and Paired with a Joyo (Korg Clone) Tuner to keep things simple. I'm thinking more for my Son and encouraging his fretless escapades.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

What's not to like?

Scooped mids galore and a resulting inarticulate mud and getting lost in the mix?

Just like the original abomination.

But of course if you think "...and justice for all" is the greatest bass album ever then you might just have found the holy grail.

Edit!!: Sorry, I apologize about being so harsh. But please know that the hate is not aimed at you in any possible way, but at the pedal, which I think it should be clear from above i have absolutely no love for. Is an amazing clone of the original Tech 21 preamp though, and not least for the unbelievably dirt cheap price, if you happen to love scooped mids.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Son loves it, bit of drive,  He saw someone busking on guitar at Camden, and asked him about what he was using... next i get a txt asking about a CryBaby for bass...

Looking to mod my Donner Wah with a cap to make it more suitable for bass freq.

Keeping him motivated and encouraging he in developing his own sound for the fretless...

• Like 1

He has no preconceived ideas...

I passed it to him all @ 12 o'clock, and suggested the same for the EQ on the Bass... and the same with his little practice amp - thanks to the generosity of @shoulderpet - Let him dial in what he wants, ask Q's and go again.

Thats what it is all about... or is that just the Hokey Cokey?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

If you turn down the bass and treble until it sounds flat and use that as a starting point then it's far more versatile than many think.

Behringer should really upgrade it to match the V2 though. 

It doesn't quite work that way, the EQ points for the Bass and Treble control and the center frequency for the mid scoop, as well as curves of these/bandwidth, on this units are set so you can't really effectively dial out the scoop that way.

The boosted mids resulting in cutting the Bass and Treble control is at a lower frequency point than where the big scoop is happening, I think with a center around about 400Hz or 500Hz, where as the giant baked in scoop of this pedal is around 800Hz, which is unfortunate cause just around about 800Hz to about 1.2kHz is the frequency area you would normally boost to increase definition and articulation. 

You can in fact not really make this pedal to have have flat response in any possible way, and the scoop will always be there to some extend, unless you mod it.

You can reasonably with the V2 though, because you can just dial in the mid frequency of the Mid control to match to where the scoop actually is happening (I say reasonably because there is no Q control, so the bandwidth/curve of the boost won't match that of the scoop exactly).

But I guess if OP's son is happy with it that is what really matters.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash