Why become a member? ×

Building things...

CPCustomdubwise

Personally I associate building a bass, or anything else, with assembling a bunch of pre manufactured parts, but making a bass, or anything else, with actually making the body, neck etc from a raw material, ie wood. 

As the body and neck could be made but all of the hardware will (usually) be off the shelf then I can see why it may be referred to as building a bass. 

• Like 2

Building, manufacturing, assembling, constructing, creating, crafting.

Eat a thesaurus, basically. People will load certain words in an attempt to differentiate or seem more than they are when they all mean the same thing at the end of the day - where once there was not a bass, now there is.

• Like 1

I've built/assembled/constructed tons of guitars & basses. Obtain the necessary bits, nail them together, some mild fettling might occasionally be required. However I lack the necessary skills (or time & motivation to learn them) to actually make/create a functioning musical instrument from scratch. Projects like my headless Rickish mess and, for example, @Andyjr1515's incredible Psilos bass are on completely different planets.

I am in both awe and envy of the creativity displayed in BC's' Build Diaries folder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1