Why become a member? ×

Jad Freer Capo

EmmettC

On 10/02/2023 at 20:48, Ander87 said:

oh. Uh oh. Gawd. Oh. It does have a good heavy grit eh…? Dang! The second tone sounds amazing for the type of distortion I like. 

Damn… I think I’m in trouble. It could even do fuzzy bit I can see from there….

how wide is it? Like an Alpha Omega/B7k kind of thing?

this could potentially replace the woolly mammoth, Blackstone Mosfet and lil fella and almost pay itself that way………

6EE4B1B8-DFCB-4CDB-93AD-4E9CF01F526B.thumb.jpeg.abbafb7c49e7626d6c11996c8d72c381.jpeg

Could do mini tuner, el capo and c4 synth (c4 would do chorus, octaver, filter and synthy lead stuff of course). 

HMMMMMM….!!!

Haha I've succumbed and ordered one - I was desperately trying to hold out but lasted about two weeks.. 😂

That's pretty much what my board will be - I think it will replace my current pre and my Aftershock so I'll likely be running mini Polytune, Capo, C4 and Atlas. Can't wait!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AxelF said:

Haha I've succumbed and ordered one - I was desperately trying to hold out but lasted about two weeks.. 😂

That's pretty much what my board will be - I think it will replace my current pre and my Aftershock so I'll likely be running mini Polytune, Capo, C4 and Atlas. Can't wait!

argh! I’m strapped for cash and have so many other bits to sort, but I’m not sure that I’ll hold out for much longer. Conversations with the JF team have been great too, and I feel like comp + c4 + Capo is as minimal and versatile as it gets. 

I play mostly neosoul/Motown and cranked up (metal'd up 😆) punk rock… C4 for textures, ala octave, synth lead, pads, chorusey stuff, and done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

argh! I’m strapped for cash and have so many other bits to sort, but I’m not sure that I’ll hold out for much longer. Conversations with the JF team have been great too, and I feel like comp + c4 + Capo is as minimal and versatile as it gets. 

I play mostly neosoul/Motown and cranked up (metal'd up 😆) punk rock… C4 for textures, ala octave, synth lead, pads, chorusey stuff, and done. 

I'm quite similar, I play in a wedding band, but also in an industrial band. The C4 is great for both, but I also have a fair bit more on my board because I'm greedy.

You won't be disappointed with the Capo. I did a DI comparison with my Capo, Radial JDI and Genzler Magellan 800, they were all great, but the Capo really warms up the sound in a way I can't achieve with the others. The Genzler DI is excellent, but if I tweak the amp to get a DI sound I really like it doesn't necessarily work with the cab, and when I get a sound I like from the cab the DI still sounds too toppy. Seems like running the Capo straight into the amp (set flat) gets me a great sound on the amp and the DI. I'm back to regular gigging this week, and I find I can never really judge something until I'm on a gig situation, but I'm pretty confident this will be the way I go.

• Thanks 1

... And, of course, I started selling some of my precious valued pedals in search for the perfect tone - not fair to hold out the Capo to that premise but hoping it'll get me closer, and free the real estate to let me get a C4 Synth lol.

Looking around in Reverb to check the Capo, 'similar products' highlighted the Chase Bliss Brothers - 2 gain stages, each working as Boost / Distortion / Fuzz - simpler EQ, no ID, but also a combined mode to stack A into B or B into A.

At risk of hijacking the thread, has anyone looked into this? Seems like they are indeed comparable - the Chase Bliss feels more like a distortion pedal than the Capo is in terms of DI for sure, but worth your thoughts!

Warning. Warning. Warning. 

I'm one small sale far from affording the Capo. Whilst that is good news, oh boy, what a dry dry dry month awaits until I get it, with nothing more than a compressor and a distortion pedal on my board :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Warning. Warning. Warning. 

I'm one small sale far from affording the Capo. Whilst that is good news, oh boy, what a dry dry dry month awaits until I get it, with nothing more than a compressor and a distortion pedal on my board :lol:

You can do it @Ander87

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, thought I'd update - the order has been placed...

I ordered directly through them via email with a pro forma, and transferred the funds via Wise (Transferwise). This seemed cheaper to me? Including shipping, we're looking at £390 that left my account (409 euros plus 27 euros for shipping, 436). The Reverb ad was showing as £416.69 + £29.63 for shipping, so about £447 plus then I'd assume looking into VAT and all that stuff (probs a 20-22% on top?). Aware this % is what I'll have to add to what I've paid for already, but thought I'd share the numbers in case anyone is on the fence.

Anyway, what matters is that I shifted some gear and I've already burnt that cash. Oh, life - but also, pretty excited for this pedal coming in!

Best,

Ander.

• Like 6

QUESTION (Dwight mode on):

I'm planning on having the Capo with just a tuner, a compressor and then an Octave/Fuzz pedal (OFF1).

Could someone advise on the right chain order/use of loops?

My mind tells me the tuner+comp should go on the input, the octave/fuzz on the post loop? or is it on the pre loop? I know the answer should be a 'try it out and see what you like best' but I'm happy to hear thoughts on what should I expect or what's the theory of what should be right.

Thanks!

Ander.

PS: This is gonna look amazing next to the Capo... 

image.thumb.png.c84a1cfb36432fc3b072a40fb3f494a6.png

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Wouldnt the capo do your fuzz?

I'd go fuzz direct into capo from with compressor in front of fuzz initially. 

aha! Thank you. 

I want the capo for a bit of hair/grit on Chanel A then stack B onto it for a crispy darkglass type distortion, leaving the fuzz as a side effect same as octave here and there. 

I know I can get fuzzy with the Capo but that’d be likely doing B>A or tweaking things around in between songs/live etc. 

Ander. 

• Like 1

If you put your fuzz in the pre loop it means your pre DI signal will be clean if you need it.

As for the compressor I guess it depends how dry you want that pre DI signal to be.

If I was using it for recording I'd have everything in the FX loops rather than in front of the capo (except a tuner) so that I'd always be able to grab a completely clean version for mixing or re-amping.

• Like 1

Well still debating the Model FeT staying on my board, it's so subtle but it just does something a little magical as the gain gets higher. I think it's mostly down to how in mimics the Model T power stage and adds a little extra compression etc.

3 levels of grit from light to heavy (Capo, Capo + Longsword, Capo + Longsword boosted), first bar of each is without the FeT and second is with it on. The EQ on the FeT are pretty flat and lowered the gain on both channels so by it's self it is pretty clean.

I need help, I'm starting to feel like it's just in my head! 😂

23 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Well still debating the Model FeT staying on my board, it's so subtle but it just does something a little magical as the gain gets higher. I think it's mostly down to how in mimics the Model T power stage and adds a little extra compression etc.

3 levels of grit from light to heavy (Capo, Capo + Longsword, Capo + Longsword boosted), first bar of each is without the FeT and second is with it on. The EQ on the FeT are pretty flat and lowered the gain on both channels so by it's self it is pretty clean.

I need help, I'm starting to feel like it's just in my head! 😂

Id been looking at the capo too when one popped up for sale on here a while back. I’m currently running a Basswitch but have added in a VMT (or TRex BassJuice when I fancy a change) and a compressor in the serial loop and they work a treat. 
If the Capo loop is serial it’s worth experimenting with those always on pedals into the loop as you get the benefit of that parallel signal which to my ear is much preferable to a clean blend as you get a bit of everything which is good about parallel signal paths. It’s the one thing stopping me ordering a capo. A fried. Who’s a bass played heard my pub band and wanted to know the sign chain as he thought it sound big and punchy. I put that down to the serial loop! 

I think the Capo does all that in one box but I really like the set up I have….

Plus just got some back pay from work  this month so have some ‘spare’ gear money. Honestly I’m just working all this out in my head on here sorry for the hijack 😀

• Haha 2

Haha @krispn welcome to join the queue for a Capo you’d be right after me 🤪 I’ll share impressions… in a while 😢 

will do octave/fuzz on the pre… and could do another modulation pedal for the post loop which should be so interesting, but I’ll need a bigger board. @MrDinsdale and @krispn know about my temptations for that 😆 

• Like 1

Yeah I think after a lot of playing and rewiring my board every few days this is my favourite order/configuration.

I think the reason it works well for me is that the hyper luminal up front with a low threshold and the FeT at the end with its tubelike compression gives a really smooth driven tone while still having loads of clank. 

I'm gonna keep the FeT, it just sounds too good for high gain to let it go although it's subtle and pretty sure not a single person listening would know or care 😂

@krispn its a greater pedal although if you're fairly happy with your setup it's unlikely to warrant the purchase. If you were in the market for a very high quality DI (or two) and wanted a very flexible preamp on top then its a pretty compelling buy. It's a high price for gas though!

If I'm totally honest the Capo didn't quite end up doing what I'd hoped, I'd really wanted to consolidate down to a single preamp with a good drive. It's not a fair criticism of the Capo as I've come to realise its the power stage emulation and it's compression and clipping rather that the actual preamp section of the FeT which the Capo can easily mimic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Yeah I think after a lot of playing and rewiring my board every few days this is my favourite order/configuration.

I think the reason it works well for me is that the hyper luminal up front with a low threshold and the FeT at the end with its tubelike compression gives a really smooth driven tone while still having loads of clank. 

I'm gonna keep the FeT, it just sounds too good for high gain to let it go although it's subtle and pretty sure not a single person listening would know or care 😂

@krispn its a greater pedal although if you're fairly happy with your setup it's unlikely to warrant the purchase. If you were in the market for a very high quality DI (or two) and wanted a very flexible preamp on top then its a pretty compelling buy. It's a high price for gas though!

If I'm totally honest the Capo didn't quite end up doing what I'd hoped, I'd really wanted to consolidate down to a single preamp with a good drive. It's not a fair criticism of the Capo as I've come to realise its the power stage emulation and it's compression and clipping rather that the actual preamp section of the FeT which the Capo can easily mimic.

Good honest account of it. I like what it does but like you say it’s an expensive outlay I find out it mimics what I already have and enjoy. I dig my board and have the added flexibility of being able to swap things about without losing the elements which I like. 

I’ll still keep an eye out for a used one … maybe 😀🤓

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.ce00646014515e508a89b8be5726bdd4.png

well! Tell me about any company that will follow up your order via instagram!

I’m assuming this is gonna be leaving Italy on Monday, then the whole UK customs palaver… but we’re getting there!

I should start looking for the Nano+ 😅

I also have a Mesa amp head coming this week, and flying out to Spain for a quick visit over a week, it’s gonna make me want to come back here to properly play with the new toys more than ever 😁 

PS all in it’s been more like 3 weeks at most if folk are curious. 

Ander. 

• Like 1