Why become a member? ×

Help! Installing J-Retro in Enfield Bass

Beedster

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There's a fairly comprehensive installation guide on the East web site.

Thanks Andy, yep I know how to install a J-Retro to a normal PUP configuration, I might be wrong but it looks like there are one or two extra wires coming into the circuit above. It’s possible a couple are redundant as the pull pot also appears to be. Either way I’m a little reluctant to pull out the existing circuit until I know what everything does. Might give Simms a call today 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beedster said:

This is the bass BTW 

image.png.e2c7a50500b6af94037c2dd0a8cb1ef4.png

That's a weird thing... Not even vaguely like any of the Enfield basses I tried, hence the confusion.

@Andyjr1515 The original Enfield pickups and associated electronics while working in roughly the same way appear to be completely different to ones that were sold later as for fitting into other instruments. I was mistakenly under the impression that the Enfield branded basses had stuck with the original designs while less versatile self-contained pickups were only sold separately

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That's a weird thing... Not even vaguely like any of the Enfield basses I tried, hence the confusion.

@Andyjr1515 The original Enfield pickups and associated electronics while working in roughly the same way appear to be completely different to ones that were sold later as for fitting into other instruments. I was mistakenly under the impression that the Enfield branded basses had stuck with the original designs while less versatile self-contained pickups were only sold separately

Thanks @BigRedX, here's a closer view of the Simms circuitry, not sure whether that makes it less versatile, seems pretty impressive but interested in your thoughts? 

31ED7B1E-14D2-4E57-9DB9-804FEB37F960_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4190cdd175621a23b1cef6b42d6083ec.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Any thoughts on what this push/pull pot might be intended for welcome ?

Is it an On/Off switch for the LED's? The fact that there are only two wires and a resistor would rule out any coil tapping. Can you trace the wires back and see if one goes to the battery.

• Thanks 1

Here's a photo of the original Enfield bass with it's integrated pickup and electronics:

Enfield-Bass.jpg

Yours appears to be a much later design using the same pickups that were available separately. It's only less versatile in the fact that it uses passive balancing of the volume differences between the different coil options and there's no active EQ which IMO you really need in order to get the proper Stingray and "Modern Jazz" tones. 

If the controls on yours are typical Jazz VVT you should be able to trace the wires back to the two volume controls which should give you the signal + and - for each pickup which can then be cut or de-soldered and attached to the relevant terminals to the J-Retro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BassBunny said:

Is it an On/Off switch for the LED's? The fact that there are only two wires and a resistor would rule out any coil tapping. Can you trace the wires back and see if one goes to the battery.

There's no need for coil tapping. The pickups under those covers are essentially 4 coils each covering 2 strings. The switch then selects which coils are connected to give Split P, Single J, and Stingray configurations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Doesn't appear to be no, I suspect the previous owner has done some messing about with the circuit as the soldering in the front cavity isn't quite the level I'd expect from Sims

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Here's a photo of the original Enfield bass with it's integrated pickup and electronics:

Enfield-Bass.jpg

Yours appears to be a much later design using the same pickups that were available separately. It's only less versatile in the fact that it uses passive balancing of the volume differences between the different coil options and there's no active EQ which IMO you really need in order to get the proper Stingray and "Modern Jazz" tones. 

If the controls on yours are typical Jazz VVT you should be able to trace the wires back to the two volume controls which should give you the signal + and - for each pickup which can then be cut or de-soldered and attached to the relevant terminals to the J-Retro.

Ah, the original Enfield Driveway configuaration. BIg enough to park your car on.

Edited by Owen

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Enfield-Bass.jpg

Yes, VVT, have tried tracking back but not quite as clear to me as I'd expect, just want to make sure there are no surprises before I get the soldering iron out :)

PS I think you're spot on re an active tone circuit. When I first bought the bass, and as per a previous thread on here, I was a little underwhelmed. It took playing pretty loud and fiddling around a lot with both the balance and tone of the PUPs plus EQ on the amp to really bring out the magic. Most of that would be captured and made far easier in an onboard EQ 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...