Why become a member? ×

51 Squier CV output low.

Basscabman

Bought this On Tuesday and have noticed the pickup output Is really low compared to my CV Jazz and P. 

Also when raising the tone the volume gets louder?

Anyone else own one of these and can tell me If It's the norm?

Other than that It's a cracking bass, Quality Crafted In China build.

Cheers.

1686454c-5628-431b-a842-42b13b354f61.thumb.jpg.359af28c4a0d6b7daadfd6416c341abb.jpg

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on the tone control. When you turn the tone all the way down, does the volume go all the way down? Is it functioning as a tone control at all? When the tone is all the way up is the output acceptable in comparison to your other basses. Etc. It sounds like you have a wiring issue but, with such scant details, it's not easy to guess what the problem actually is.

33 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

The white comes from the pickup and Is soldered to the first tab on the volume pot. 

I see that one, marked it with a black cross.

It's the one I've marked in yellow, looks to be the bridge ground but if that's the case why is the bare wire soldered and the white snaking down to the middle Vol pot lug ?

cpanel51.jpg.ddc86ec426a7be9654878250de4961d7.thumb.jpg.941b1c00cc97e74f07078b1733f1ad53.jpg

15 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

might help.

I'm going to need it 😀

Just looking through the different ways these have been wired over the years but I've none that match this.

What are you like with a soldering iron ? I'd be tempted to redo it to something simple like this.

1756217731_54P-bass.jpg.3b9b12e57c550843fa2120eb28178b6b.jpg

I think there is a lot here that is largely irrelevant to the problem. Although the photo looks wrong, and it seems things are wired wrong, that has nothing to do with the symptoms as described. The OP is not complaining at all about the operation of the volume control, which I assume works fine, volume goes up, volume goes down, they are complaining about the function of the tone, which also puts the volume down when wound down.

The only thing that can cause that is to much signal going through the capacitor, being shorted to ground in the tone control. Which means either the capacitor is shorted, or partially resistant, or the pot itself has a short between the case and the track (unlikely).