Why become a member? ×

Plate amps

JPJ

Just a thought, but a powered cab would make a lot of sense for me at the moment. As I am about to build a Basschat 2x12 I’m considering sticking an extra few cm’s on the depth and adding a plate amp but the question is which one? 
I’ve previously bought a complete new replacement plate amp for one of my EV ZLX PA tops but this has DSP etc so not really suitable. 
So I guess my question is “is there a simple plate amp module including power supply suitable to build into a bass cab”? 

29 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Not that I know of. Those I'm familiar with don't have a pre-amp and tone controls that are suitable. You'd still need that in a separate package or pedal.

Sorry Bill, 

I should have been clearer in my post. I have several preamps (both pedal and rack mount) that I tend to run into the return of my amp, hence thinking of a built-in poweramp in a single cab solution.

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

Just a thought, but a powered cab would make a lot of sense for me at the moment. As I am about to build a Basschat 2x12 I’m considering sticking an extra few cm’s on the depth and adding a plate amp but the question is which one? 
I’ve previously bought a complete new replacement plate amp for one of my EV ZLX PA tops but this has DSP etc so not really suitable. 
So I guess my question is “is there a simple plate amp module including power supply suitable to build into a bass cab”? 

DSP capability is a big bonus in my mind, what 's your objection to it?

Some potential candidates:

https://www.diyclassd.com/plate-amplifiers/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

Sorry Bill, 

I should have been clearer in my post. I have several preamps (both pedal and rack mount) that I tend to run into the return of my amp, hence thinking of a built-in poweramp in a single cab solution.

In that case...there's Powersoft if you've won the lottery. Otherwise just search. Just be sure it's full range, not a low passed sub amp. Sub amps are very inexpensive, as they don't need low THD specs and other attributes because they don't operate where they're an issue. 

IMO a better option is to make the cab an airhead, with an integrated space for a rack mount amp that are abundant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passinwind said:

DSP capability is a big bonus in my mind, what 's your objection to it?

Some potential candidates:

https://www.diyclassd.com/plate-amplifiers/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers

Those are both good options. MiniDSP use their own DSP and ICEPower amps, Hypex use their own DSP and power amps. 

There is for, and against for DSP. Digital Signal Processing is very versatile and help cover up a multitude of sins. In PA amps they are used both as active crossovers and for tone  shaping, giving the option to tailor the response to the intended use of the cabinet. They can tame more inexpensive drivers but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Also, with active crossovers you need more than one amplifier and while Class D means that there are few cost or weight implications to this, it does add complexity.

Purists will argue that a better bet is a good analogue (Bill and Charlie feel free to delete the ue at the end) active crossover is superior and for a cabinet designed for s specific use, I would agree.

If you are using a traditional LCR crossover. A single amp plate amp is all you need.

• Like 1