Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine reviews Rickenbacker

TheGreek

There is a lot of feedback available, and students are encouraged to upload videos for feedback and correction.

Given that SBL is a school, then the choice of material may also be a matter of finding decent teachers for a genre, rather than deliberately ignoring it. (My old school had a fantastic modern languages department,  aparently, but couldn't offer Spanish).

There are a couple of courses on metal playing, one on prog metal, and some seminars. I'm sure Scott would love to find a thrash metal bassist prepared to write and teach a course on keeping that style and speed going for a full gig without injury.

Right -  I'm off to practice the pieces "Abstract Noodle 6" and "Muddy Leeds River", followed by "Funky Love Glove"

See you in the shed when I've fixed the roof. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mario_buoninfante said:

I suppose, and I might be totally wrong, because Jazz and Blues are well decoded genres with their rules and structures (to be bent as well) and that makes them good for teaching.
I would like to see more courses about other genres, but I suspect that they would be mainly about learning songs rather than studying the theory behind them. Something that is quite valid, don't get me wrong, but I struggle to imagine a 12-20 lessons course on these genres that isn't mainly about learning songs.

Don't wanna be that guy, but I'm pretty sure that jazz would prepare you quite well for that :)

Jazz just puts people off. It's only really enjoyed by a small minority. 

If rules are what you need then metal has loads of them! Most of them came straight out of blues. It doesn't just have to be based around learning songs. I tried the SBL Players path which seems to be purely around learning little tunes that they've composed for the lesson so that's pretty much just learning songs anyway. 

Anyway, I found very little interest in the SBL lessons, they felt like a chore and mostly ended up using talkingbass instead. 

• Like 1

I love my 4001 but I did have to make some changes.... the bridge obviously has to be swapped out, and nordstrand make a good neck pup replacement, so while I was at it, I went and replaced the bridge pup as well.

I wasn't finding it that comfortable to play, so I took the bridge pup cover off, it still wasn't that comfortable and I don't think I got on with the body shape so I swapped out the body as well, but as it's a neck through I had to change that as well. Now the pups didn't really fit with the setup, so I changed them as well, and now it's perfect. 

0149643300_gtr_frt_001_rr.thumb.jpg.ab1863dbd4697dbb51c8adc36cf8efe9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

I love my 4001 but I did have to make some changes.... the bridge obviously has to be swapped out, and nordstrand make a good neck pup replacement, so while I was at it, I went and replaced the bridge pup as well.

I wasn't finding it that comfortable to play, so I took the bridge pup cover off, it still wasn't that comfortable and I don't think I got on with the body shape so I swapped out the body as well, but as it's a neck through I had to change that as well. Now the pups didn't really fit with the setup, so I changed them as well, and now it's perfect. 

0149643300_gtr_frt_001_rr.thumb.jpg.ab1863dbd4697dbb51c8adc36cf8efe9.jpg

I nominate this for post of the month. 😂

• Haha 1