Why become a member? ×

Speaker repair!

Horizontalste

Ok so not bass related but I'm askin' anyways!

I have a pair of Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers, I've had them for over 20 years & they're still in great condition.

However, one of the tweeters sounds like it's bit the dust. I've searched online for a replacement with no success & I'm reluctant to contact the manufacturer due to their age.

So, does anyone know "a guy"? (Or gal) who might be able to help?

Ta

13 hours ago, KevL said:

What model are the speakers?

Have you removed the tweeter to see what make and model it is? Most speaker manufacturers use third-party drivers e.g. Scanspeak, Vifa and replacements are often readily available. 

I did remove the tweeter ages ago but couldn't see any be distinguishing marks!

I'll have another look when I get home!

i've not done this with Mourdant short but i have a pair of JPW minims that had blown tweeters and they seemed to be unobtainable, but it turned out that the front plate and the driver were 2 parts that clipped together so i was able to find the correct driver on the wrong faceplate and still fix them without any issues (and they sounded fab when working properly)

post some pics of the tweeters and hopefully someone will recognise them.

Matt

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KevL said:

What model are the speakers?

Have you removed the tweeter to see what make and model it is? Most speaker manufacturers use third-party drivers e.g. Scanspeak, Vifa and replacements are often readily available. 

+1  I believe Mordaunt-Short used a lot of Audax tweeters. As Matt P says, take a photo of the tweeter from a few angles and post it up here. Alternatively, search Ebay for parts for your specific model.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

I did remove the tweeter ages ago but couldn't see any be distinguishing marks!

I'll have another look when I get home!

Even if you don't want to remove the tweeter tonight, at least post the model of the speaker (often MS-nn format for Mordaunt-Short) and we can probably work from that.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 21:52, Horizontalste said:

I'm reluctant to contact the manufacturer due to their age.

I can recommend contacting them anyway.  The worst that can happen is they confirm that they can no longer supply replacement parts.

If you are lucky they may be able to replace it for you.

I bought a pair of Heco Superiors a long while back.  They were ex-demo from one of the Derby HiFi shops and one of the tweeters was fried.  They discounted the speakers heavily and gave me contact details for the manufacturer.  They sent a replacement tweeter free of charge and I'm still using the speakers every day thirty years later!

• Like 3

I've just had a quick look for replacement tweeters and couldn't see any MS1T-3R5 but saw some similar to that posted by stevie that have a very slightly different name - it's probable that, if they physically fit your cabinet, they'll be fine and you won't notice any difference. 

Another option* is a new (to you) pair of speakers I have bought a few bits from Wilkinson's and they are a proper old-school hifi shop. It would also be worth giving them a call and asking as they may well have a spare tweeter (they have hundreds of spares and items that aren't on their website). 

*If you do go for these and they won't post, I will be visiting them in a couple of weeks so would be happy to pick them up and we can sort out getting them from me in north Wales to you in the W Mids.

Edited by KevL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've bookmarked Wilkinsons too, on the lookout for a cd player to replace my old Marantz cd63 that's starting to skip again (i've cleaned it once which helped for a bit and i'll give it another clean before I give up and retire it)

are there any other reliable used hifi places? (I know about 2nd hand hifi in stockport) https://2ndhandhifi.co.uk/

Matt

@Matt P I don't know of anywhere else around the north-west. 

The CD63 is a nice player so you could see if Wilkinson's could fix it, they have a good repair service (generally for slightly older kit with caps, resistors, valves etc not new stuff that's all integrated circuits) but they are usually busy so turnaround may be a few weeks.

Also, with the low price of formerly top-end players (I recently picked up a CD63 MkII KI signature for about £50) it may not be worth the cost of repair, sadly.

28 minutes ago, KevL said:

@Matt P I don't know of anywhere else around the north-west. 

The CD63 is a nice player so you could see if Wilkinson's could fix it, they have a good repair service (generally for slightly older kit with caps, resistors, valves etc not new stuff that's all integrated circuits) but they are usually busy so turnaround may be a few weeks.

Also, with the low price of formerly top-end players (I recently picked up a CD63 MkII KI signature for about £50) it may not be worth the cost of repair, sadly.

unfortunately Wilkinson's is a fair way from me (north east England) so i'd be buying mail order.

I'm slightly envious of the KI sig, especially for £50!

the cd63 is a great unit and the sound quality is still very good, but i know how much plastic there is in the mechanism and it's going to start getting brittle at some point so a more recent machine is tempting (current unit is mid 90's so will be 30 yrs old before i know it)

when it comes to repair and servicing i'm fairly happy to do most work myself, re-capping etc is within my experience (done an amp and a power supply in the last couple of years)  but some of the mechanism parts are getting scarcer than they once were.

tI'm only getting the occasional skip and it doesn't seem to occur at the same point in each cd, so i'm going to clean the laser and re-lubricate the laser rails and the drawer, i think i last did it 2 years ago.

I only paid £25 for the CD63 in cash converters about 16 years ago so i'm fairly happy that i've had more than my moneys worth from it.

Matt

19 hours ago, Matt P said:

unfortunately Wilkinson's is a fair way from me (north east England) so i'd be buying mail order.

Poor observation as I didn't notice that you are in the NE. If you're happy with mail-order, then keep an eye on Retrotech Audio I've bought a few things from them, they are only a tiny outfit and it's best to phone and speak to John, the owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, an update just in case anyone's mildly interested 😁

I've had no luck finding direct replacements so I decided to look around for a close match then either adapt the mountings to suit or failing that look at 3d printing or crafting something from a nice bit of wood.

So I've had them apart tonight to take measurements & better reference photos then I decided to plug them in & mark the dodgy one with a Chinagraph pencil.

I wired:em up & loaded my "headphones playlist" & as luck has it they sound amazing! I couldn't crank them up but I couldn't hear the scratchy muffled sound that I heard before. Maybe taking them apart had fixed whatever the problem was. Time will tell.

They sound so much better than the Cambridge Audio ones I've been using for the last few years. Much deeper to my ears & they fill there room.

PXL_20230209_213147060~2.jpg

• Like 2