Why become a member? ×

Guitar overdrive also for bass

Che

Wonder if you use or know about guitar overdrive pedals that work well for the bass too. 

I happen to have Wampler Euphoria and Pantheon. I find the Euphoria (based on Dumble sound) sounds very good with my bass. It acts a bit like a compressor too. Really rounds up all strings so the D doesn’t pop too much when played harder. And the drive is so beautifully subtle which I like. Sure it can drive more but slight is what I prefer. 

Euphoria is known to have loads of bottom end. I set its Bass knob to zero! 

Any other OD guitar pedals good for bass? 

Edited by Che

Set right and in the right application/context most do actually.

And especially if blended with some dry/clean signal via for example a Boss LS-2 or similar.

Though to name a few:

Some kind of Klon clone, for example the Mosky Golden Horse, particularly on lower gain settings as an "always on" kind of thing.

Joyo Orange Juice, works particularly well for a more grindy type of drive.

Joyo American Sound, works amazingly well as a bass overdrive, but actually also really well as a cleaner bass preamp. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all! 

I do have a TC Zeus (Klon) and it did sound nice but a bit noisy. Need to test it again though as back then I did have amps treble at full (more white noise) 

I did try my Tele into my Warwick practice amp but it didn’t sound as nice as into my wet-dry set up (Egnater into Jensen Blackbird 12” and Vox AC15 Greenback). 

I've used the Joyo American Sound on both and it's been useful when used as an amp sim too. 

The DOD 250 is really good on bass provided you don't go too crazy with the drive, as the more dirt you add, the less bass you get.

Just get a cheap loop pedal and you can use any guitar pedal*!

*as long as it's got a phase reverse feature just to be safe.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

The DOD 250 is really good on bass provided you don't go too crazy with the drive, as the more dirt you add, the less bass you get.

Agreed but I also find that on lower drive settings it tends to take off any top end sheen

Edited by NAS Bass
Typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Che said:

Thanks all! 

I do have a TC Zeus (Klon) and it did sound nice but a bit noisy. Need to test it again though as back then I did have amps treble at full (more white noise) 

I did try my Tele into my Warwick practice amp but it didn’t sound as nice as into my wet-dry set up (Egnater into Jensen Blackbird 12” and Vox AC15 Greenback). 

Just exactly the TC Electronic Zeus Klon clone is not the best for that always on low gain thing that I suggested, since it unlike the original and most other Klon clones doesn't really color the signal much on low gain settings (which, depending on the the context/application, might otherwise be a desired feature, but it does mean it just won't really work well for adding that really nice always on super low gain signature Klon coloration, which as far as I am concerned is where Klon based pedals otherwise usually really shines used for bass).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

the caline orange burst,

Hardwire tube OD (as well as many screamer type pedals)

Ehx Glove (likewise with OCD types)

Ehx crayon and hot tubes (the hot wax has them combined in one package)

Orange getaway driver

Soo many to list lol

The EHX Crayon is based on the Xotic BB Circuit, just like the Caline Orange Burst, also the EHX Hot Wax adds extended EQ controls to the Hot Tubes, and a clean blend control (which neither the standalone Crayon or Hot Tubes otherwise got), mind though that those are master controls for both the Crayon and Hot Tubes, which by the way can be switched on/off independently with a dedicated footswitch for each of the two drives respectively (and of course they each respectively got independent gain and volume control as well). 

Another really great overdrive for bass is the EHX Nano Operation Overlord, which is an extremely versatile drive pedal, and features the option for blending in dry/clean signal as well.

• Thanks 1