Why become a member? ×

Quickie - fuse rating

fleabag

I have a pair of  active Yamaha tower PA's   ( 1000 watt per tower ) and wanted to buy 2 new 240v mains power / IEC cables, because the originals

supplied are too stiff  ( outer casing ? ) and wont lay flat or curve round conveniently.

I emailed Kenable asking for flexible mains/IEC cables and they've asked me what the cables are for

Quote We stock two types, one is more flexible rated at 0.75mm2 copper (5 amp rated) and the thicker cables usually have 1.00mm2 on the cable rated for 10A devices

Do amps need more higher rated fuses depending on their output ?   I havent got the PA with me so i cannot check the fuses in the original cables.

5 A x 230 VAC = 1150 W

10 A x 230 VAC = 2300 W

My choice would be 3 x 1.5 mm2 for few other reasons.

1) the cable can transfer the needed power to amps with reasonable headroom

2) when the cable gets older, some of the copper will be cut, and the upper limit will be lower

3) slightly thicker cable can withstand abuse better

• Like 3

Great

Kenable cables checkout didnt work,  a couple of other cable sellers sites wouldnt open, and a fruitless search for anyone else selling flexible IEC 

( C13 ) 5 metre mains leads.

Apparently, the word flexible isnt something thats a concern for advertisers. 

Edited by fleabag

Rik of Kenable Ltd contacted me and advised that 1.00mm2  copper is needed, and so i ordered these in 2 x 5M  lengths.

They arrived and they're excellent quality.  Sturdy / heavy duty but so much more flexible than the nasty stiff Yamaha supplied cables

Job done

• Like 3

On 29/01/2023 at 22:12, fleabag said:

Does that mean i should pull the 13a fuses out and fit 10a ?

Technically yes, but in practical terms the days of appliances causing fuses to blow are largely gone - “stuff” is less prone to faults that induce large current influx compared to when the existing plug top and fuse came into being.

One of the fuse’s functions is to protect the appliance’s cable from burning out if the appliance tries to pull more than its cable is rated for, eg in a fault condition.

Because I’m old school, I always fit a fuse that’s rated above the appliance’s max draw (dur) but below the cable’s capacity. If I’m making a mains extension eg 6 or 8 gang, I use 1.5mm cable that’ll carry 16amps and fuse at 13. My bass amp’s kettle lead is fused at 5amp but can handle 10amp etc

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1