Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR300 to Passive P Conversion

PaulThePlug

This will get better than this after a few proper slurry and buffs and after I've sanded down some of the areas that still have a trace of the Ibby primer coat - but it's not bad with just the rough 'reveal' coat.

Some of the burns were quite deep and so there remain a few darker patches, but it's much better than it was and there's a limit to how much wood I should sand away :)

IVMosJml.jpg

t1ziRw8l.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"That's a nice colour..." said MrsAndyjr1515 as she walked past.

Trust me...praise indeed!

For natural timbers, Tru-oil slurry and buff remains one of the easiest, cheapest and most effective finishes.  This is after slurry and buff 2.  Slurry and buff 3 will be this afternoon and then first thing tomorrow morning it will be ready to be packed up and shipped off back to @PaulThePlug, who has waited VERY patiently for it to come back to him :)

qmI6AWXh.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While i wait for the bodys return journey, sounds like a repatriation!.. I thought i'd share this bit of an email i sent to Andy...

This is my 'Mental Health' Bass...

I've gone on (and on!) about my love of the Ibby Worn Pebble Body and Great Neck... and my wish for a Simple Passive P in the thread back in June '20 when you did a job for @donslow SR Body.

This is about the same time Lockdown was in Full Swing, and I started to get to grips with my Mental Health. Went to the Doc, got signed off from work, and started on the meds...

Getting the bits together to complete this project, has been great... spending and occupying my time, researching and reaching out to those for the Pickup, Tone Switch, Knobs and Strings, as well as you (Andy) for the Body Mod, is much more than blagging a discount or freebie... time taken to write the email, and joy in recieving a response, and willingness of those to support my build has had such a positive effect on my mood... and admittedly saved a few quid.

I've been thinking about the finish, and your kind offer of a veneer for the front, but... If OK I'd be happy with the existing cavities filled and a route for the P with the extra control holes filled.

Your veneer finishes are amazing, but the above will show the outline of the old pickups and controls... All 'PowerSpan, Power Tap, Active 3 Band EQ, Blah Blah Blah'... But then taken back to simpler times with a single P pickup, Vol and Tone...

Just how my mind feels with all the stress and anxiety of complication causing my depression, and not something to be covered up, out of sight, but celebrated with trying to live more in the moment.

Apologies for going on... I just thought i'd give a little insight as to the 'what and why's' this bass is about to me...

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 6

May I be so bold as to suggest it be called The Therabass?  I'm glad to hear that you are managing your health issues in this way.  Having been there, I appreciate how well it works.

It's interesting to note how close the battery pocket was to the original neck p/u route.  If you'd chosen an active P, it looks like the D/G half would've fouled the battery pocket.

qmI6AWXh.jpg

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 2

Body arrived... Spent a while just holding it, turning it over in my hands, although you can see all the fillings, its so smooth, thanks to the Oil Slurry Finish. I gave it a quick rub over with some Warwick Wax

Pickups in, I went with the Maida Vale Alnico IV Low Rider, these are wired Black Hot, Red & Screen Gnd, Join Green and White for Series (4 Wire Pickup)... Earth Wire and Bridge on... Aretec QTP Tone Selector Sw in... Vol Pot Wire Prepped and In.. Wired up used sleeved Tinned Copper Wire from Vol to Tone... Jack wired up.

[Is that bit of wire Orange, Red or Brown?

Yep... I'm Red/Green Colour Blind, Ex-MoD Electronics Eng!..]

164792933_SR300PE.thumb.jpg.4c6394712b7a6bcf1bed416bd6f27a3d.jpg

Neck on, Flatwound Strings On... gonna leave it a bit to accustom then a bit of Truss Rod, Saddle and Intonation...

Probably the only Ibanez SR with a touch of neck dive! Now 2.65kg (5.8lb) - yep i checked it 3 times on the luggage scales

SR300P.thumb.jpg.53da41e21364927d0d86c6aa3a217a07.jpg

Fingers crossed it sounds as sweet 'n smooth as it looks.

1925302437_SR300PB.thumb.jpg.e1d6521b62541e4b1a9e28a5f9d317dd.jpg

Thanks again to @Andyjr1515 and the companies that supported my build - I'm chuffed... 😊

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

^ I was concerned about 'tear out' on the front face, which might be why Ibanez use a facing... also the headstock thickness minimum depth for the tuners... if you remove one and screw the top nut into the tuner body, even with the washer... you'll see what i mean.

I electrical tape-ed up by the nut, as the facing of the angled headstock goes under the fretboard and nut, so must of been applied first. Worth it for mine... but worth checking... Dunno why Ibby hide this?

Yours Bubinga and Jatoba?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1