Why become a member? ×

Are Marcus Miller basses shielded?

Che

Hi folks! 

I wonder if Sire Marcus Miller basses are shielded from the factory? Did any of you with these basses check under the hood? 

I get lots of noise from my Harley Benton non shielded bass. Noise goes away when I touch the metal parts. 

I would love to buy a bass that has this issue sorted. Looking at the Marcus Miller M2 and V3 , not sure yet which of these two to get. Likely the bass with least noise. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Never had a problem with the Sire I used to have and the one I have now. Shielding tape is incredibly cheap on Amazon and a very easy job to do, definitely worth giving a go. I know some people say any kind of DIY job is easy to assert some kind of alpha male thing, like "fitting a bathroom is easy, it's just Lego", but shielding a bass really is just putting some sticky tape in nearly then screwing it back together, even I can do it and I can't put up a shelf straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've not had a look at mine but I'd be very suprised if there was anything more than the standard black shielding paint you get in most pickup/electronics cavities.

I definitely wouldn't describe my 1st gen V7 as a noisy bass though.

Generally speaking, active basses do tend to be quiter than passive and humbuckers are usually quieter than single coils, so, on paper anyway out of the two Sire models the OP mentions the M2 with it's active electronics and humbuckers should be quiter than both the active and passive versions of the V3 with it's single coils.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

Can some of you fine fellows have a quick peek under the hood? :) I’m sure it’s easy to just lift the control plate a bit and even peek into the pickup routes. 
I’m totally happy if it’s that black shielding paint. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Che