Why become a member? ×

On-Board preamps: Bartolini vs Glockenklang

glassmoon

Hi all

I'm looking at upgrading the innards of my Ibanez BTB (currently with Bart MK1 pickups and Ibanez vari-mid [which is failing a bit due to age]) with (firstly) a new pre-amp and (later) new pickups)

I'm torn between two, the Bartolini system, which I know very well and a Glockenklang, which I know by reputation only.

(prices are from Bass Direct here in the UK)

• Bartolini @ £155 (3 band, active/passive, 3-way mini toggle mid freq, 9/18v)
  • Glockenklang @ £130 (3 band, active/passive, 9/18v)

A big differentiator is the 3-way mid frequency selector, which is nice for getting 3 quite different tonal options (finger style, slap, solo (whenever that happens hahahaha)

But all that aside, opinions are VERY welcome - shoot!!!!

KR

Julian aka Glassmoon

I'm a huge Bartolini fan (and endorser, for transparency), so my vote will go with them.
Ultimately it seems you've answered your own question, you know it well, and it has features that are useful to you. Unless you feel it is lacking in some way, ie enough to try something else, i'd order the Bart.

Si

• Like 1

Thanks @Sibob - yeah, I am on the fence though, probably as this is not a simple, open my wallet and shell out money decision... this is ultimately going to need to be the "right" decision.

I think, think, that I am leaning towards Barts - I know and love that sound :)

My ancient BTB is fitted with a comparable US Bart pre to this one (+ US Bart humbuckers). It’s excellent. Really nice EQ range, the three way switch freqs are well chosen, the blend really does blend very well (sounds daft, but not all pres do this well). Quiet. It’s a great choice.

Also had that glock pre on a sandberg with haussel P and MM. Again, superb. Very hifi clean and clear, didn’t really add its own ‘voicing’ in the subtle way that Bart pres do. Stupendous EQ - SO. MUCH. BASS. (To be fair, it was a 13kg plus bass!). Brilliantly chosen EQ points. Honestly didn’t miss the switchable mid BUT the tone / sound diff between the P and the MM way more marked than on the Ibby above with 2x identical pups.

Difficult choice. Have you any idea of what pickups you’ll be upgrading to? I bet a set of Nordstrand Big Singles would KILL through the Bart pre, for example. And Ibby’s with Nordstrands sound great, had one of those too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Difficult choice. Have you any idea of what pickups you’ll be upgrading to? I bet a set of Nordstrand Big Singles would KILL through the Bart pre, for example. And Ibby’s with Nordstrands sound great, had one of those too!

Hey @moley6knipe

Thank you so much for the great response. I'm kinda on the fence WRT the pickups. I know I probably should be cognisant of the pairing, but to be honest, I'm just not sure. I'm lead to believe that the MK1s are not actually that  "bad", and that a good pre will enhance them. I'm also aware of putting a lot of money into a not-so-expensive instrument for what might only be a marginal bump in sound quality. 

Having said that, while I'm quite into the Nord option (had them in a SoundGear, and wow!), I'm really into the Bart idea. As I said in my original message, I had this exact bass many years ago, and tricked it with an all out Bart upgrade, which was amazing. Yeah, Barts add their own twist, but it's a great twist I believe. 

Sigh..... I'm so lucky to have all this input, but it's not as easy as I'd like, to reach a point where I can pull the trigger hahahaha