Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass, from active to passive

neepheid

6 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Quick question @neepheid, I'll admit I've not read the whole thread. Is that bridge the Gibson or Epiphone version?

The bass is looking bloody good so far! I'm a sucker for Black and Gold.

Neither, it's a Babicz.  Couldn't get a gold three pointer for love nor (reasonable) money.  A chancer in Australia was selling one but was asking way too much.

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Neither, it's a Babicz.  Couldn't get a gold three pointer for love nor (reasonable) money.  A chancer in Australia was selling one but was asking way too much.

Yeah, I know it's Babicz. But they do Gibson or Epiphone versions.

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

Yeah, I know it's Babicz. But they do Gibson or Epiphone versions.

Ahh, I get what you mean now, sorry I misread.  It's the GIbson version but as my front threaded insert was flush with the body and I was up to no good at the back, it didn't matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Ahh, I get what you mean now, sorry I misread.  It's the GIbson version but as my front threaded insert was flush with the body and I was up to no good at the back, it didn't matter.

No worries :)

I've been thinking about getting a Babicz for my Epi EB3. I'd also want a gold one...

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

No worries :)

I've been thinking about getting a Babicz for my Epi EB3. I'd also want a gold one...

On a flat top like that, if the threaded inserts sit proud of the surface, you'll need the Epiphone version.  Or get the Hipshot Supertone - the fact that the inserts may or may not be flush is factored into the design with no need for separate versions.

• Thanks 1

Because I'm idly twiddling my thumbs because STILL NO SIGN OF MY PICKUPS, I ordered a custom engraved "poker chip" for the selector switch.  Black, with gold lettering to match the whole black n gold vibe.  This has made up my mind regarding pickup rings - black rings, but with gold screws.  Should match the black pickups with gold rings and the new poker chip nicely.

• Like 1

I had to go down to the Royal Mail depot for a parcel anyway so even though I didn't get the ticket through the door this morning I asked them if I could just get the parcel and pay the tax there and then.  To my surprise, I could!

image.png.ab74881a45209c44b6dd874e5ff290dc.png

They look even better in person than the photos.  Looks like I'll be a busy boy over the next couple of evenings...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Black with the gold screws.

Is a black pickup switch surround with gold wording available as well? just a thought.

I have already ordered a custom engraved switch surround in black/gold, so yes, I'm going down the same line of thought as you.  I thought the cream stuff I had might tie in with the cream binding but it just looks daft.

Black rings/gold screws ordered...

• Like 1

Well, that was an effing disaster.  I'm rusty and I suck.  It buzzes, one of the tones is a volume, one of the push/pushes sounds like it does series/parallel and one doesn't.  Clicks and pops when I touch metal things.  I've made a total ar$e of it.

Nae happy.  Not doing any more tonight - will take a look at it tomorrow.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, that was an effing disaster.  I'm rusty and I suck.  It buzzes, one of the tones is a volume, one of the push/pushes sounds like it does series/parallel and one doesn't.  Clicks and pops when I touch metal things.  I've made a total ar$e of it.

Nae happy.  Not doing any more tonight - will take a look at it tomorrow.

Wise move. Any earth missed out anywhere?

Found my first mistake - I know without looking that I missed a connection on both the push/push switches.  I've taken the black wire directly up to the middle right terminal instead of connecting it to both the bottom left AND middle right (which looks like what I should have done.  That won't help!

image.png.524781e401f12305b13f0e452d42fbc0.png

It should still work in up mode though, but I never checked it with both switches up because I was annoyed and not being methodical.  There's probably more wrong, but that's a good starter for 10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The end is in sight. Unfortunately, one of my push/push pots is faulty - got a nasty sticky portion of the sweep and the push push doesn't seem to be switching. FFS.

On the plus side, these DiMarzio X2N-B pickups are sounding amazing (through headphones at least), loud, tight, focussed but characterful - exactly what I was hoping for!

• Like 3