Why become a member? ×

G&L CLF Research L1000 750 (US L1000 five string to you and me) Price drop £1500
£1650

Owen

20230115_205451.thumb.jpg.5c8269097645e56bab56523cee32946d.jpg.b50de0d734603197ecb6de0ba17e40e2.jpgI bought this. My first ever brand new bass. I do like a FSO. But another FSO has made my head snap sideways. I am so tragically bass-fickle, but there are worse weaknesses. This is a US built L1000 with that all important, most important extra string. Just so that we are clear, I care nothing for you opinions that 4 are enough. It weighs 8lbs 8oz and just feels really nice. It does the single pickup FSO thing exceptinally well. It is Leo's last pickup design I do believe. He knew about pickups. If you are looking carefully you will see the red switch of craziness. I am not entirely sure technically what goes on when you hit this, but it is intense and brings joy. In an enhanced LF/Grunt stylee. I have not had it long enough to damage it so it is in virtually perfect nick. Absolute perfection? Nothing ever is. But I cannot find any blems and I am SUPER careful with my kit. Unless it is a relic and then I just do not care. There is a joy in that. But I have cared for this a lot. It also comes with a G&L hard case. I have not used a hard case in any meaningful way since 1989 so it is shiny. It is passive so is, you know, like, real. And yet, the red switch of craziness sends the front end of my preamp into hyperdrive. That with flats sends people into raptures of delight.

The body is meant to be scaled up to get the 19mm (or .750" if you are that way inclined) spacing looking fabulous. The body is smaller that my Fender J5. And it is "sling it over you shoulder and play for 3 hours without worrying" light. 8lbs 8oz light. Did I mention that? The older I get, the more interesting those kind of figures look. I could be wrong (my family has suggested that sometimes I am) but I suspect there are very few, if any, others in the UK. I imported it from the US with all the Tax and "strach" (Welsh for hassle) (roll the "r" and gutteral the "ch") that entails. Let my fickleness bring you joy.

Given our present government's expertise with leveraging exchange rates and everything else, bringing one of these in would be a cool 2K+. To continue discussing the present government, they are very keen to let the market decide. I bet they are not so keen now but I do not want my thread to be locked before I get anywhere so will not follow that line of thought. I bet they wish they had not either. Anyway, if the market decides I should keep this then I am entirely cool about that as it is proper lush, but I am trying to be rational about how many basses I own. I do not want to get sucked into that particular aesthetic discussion, but this is my favourite version of any of the G&L headstocks. I was going to try and get an off white/cream pickup cover 3D printed. 2002 Owen would be horrified. But hey ho, what did he know? It would look absolutley banging, but that ship has sailed.

I am not looking for any trades, but thanks for thinking about it.

Having written all that and considered the bass again, I do not really want to sell it. But basses are not Pokemon and I do not gotta catch them all.

Ed makes all the sounds and notes happen here. I have embedded it to start when he starts playing. A decent pair of cans or speakers will let you hear what is going on.

20220716_213002.thumb.jpg.aaaded31dc6ca7de0d027dc004e66fe7.jpg

Edited by Owen
  • Like 17

6 hours ago, kuetsum said:

Lucky it's a 1000 not 2000...

Oh the 1000 are better!*

well different 

being all passive it’s like the best p bass type sound ever with a playing exp to match - the L2000 is more active and fiddly controls - and it has the OMG mode

• 2 weeks later...

It has been suggested that my photography skill have not put this in the best light. And that is not wrong. I have done some in ordinary room lighting and some with a flash. Getting the colour right is tricky. It is slightly too "POPPING" with the flash, but without the flash it is not showing in all it's bubblegum glory. 

20230115_205254.jpg

20230115_205302.jpg

20230115_205333.jpg

20230115_205344.jpg

20230115_205412.jpg

20230115_205420.jpg

20230115_205451.jpg

20230115_205502.jpg

• Like 1

• Owen changed the title to G&L CLF Research L1000 750 (US L1000 five string to you and me) Price drop £1500
  • 2 weeks later...