Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie D800 - Thoughts?

Thor

Finding them in the UK new is tricky. 

The lack of an actual tube pre-amp and limited EQ (compared to the TT 800 and WD 800) is kinda what stopped me from buying one. Also the voicing of the amp is apparently similar to the older Carbine amps which I found to be a bit aggressively voiced. I owned an M6 for 18 months or so before selling to buy a Big Block 750. 

If I was lucky enough to own a DB750 and wanted a back up amp that was tonally consistent then I would probably be looking at an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 or similar. 

If nothing else, if you buy a Mesa you generally get something that is rock solid in terms of design, construction and reliability. I have had a Walkabout for 13 years and it is still kicking. 

If you can try one out I would definitely recommend doing so. 

Thanks for the reply🙂

I'm playing in a Jukebox band (party type band/popular covers) and also have recently joined a classic rock covers band (AC/DC, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath etc) and was thinking of possibly getting my hands on an Ampeg of some sort (there's one at The Bass Gallery and Bass Direct also have an SVT) although then I got to thinking that may be a bit much as a back up?  Bass Direct have also just got a used Mesa into stock, I've never tried anything Mesa but was thinking that may be more suitable?

Hmm, what to do.....

I very much favour Mesa over Ampeg.

For a back up amp I like something light and in a small package, because generally it won’t need to be used unless the main amp has an issue, which will generally (or hopefully) be very rare.

You can’t really go wrong with the Mesa. I would definitely take the D800 over one of the class D Ampegs including the SVT 7. I would like an SVT Classic but not as a back up amp I would be taking ‘just in case’. 

I do like SVT IIIs, however the Mesa will have far more power and clean headroom.

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

I had a Mesa D800 for about 6 weeks - couldn't get on with it and shifted it on. I found it too flubby and dark for my taste and it ran out of steam pretty easily. Gigged it about 4/5 times.

A Genzler Magellan 800 replaced it for a while and I found that more to my liking as the EQ was much more effective and the twin channels were useful although I just generally don't like Class D amps (apart from my Quilter Bass Block which has survived every 'too many amps' cull, doesn't behave like a class D amp and lives in my gig bag as the backup amp of choice)

If you're off to Bass Direct and are open to non class D stuff I would be looking at the GK Fusion 550 and the EBS TD650 they allegedly have in stock. Just for reference I play in a noisy rock covers band and use a Mesa Big Block 750 (it doesn't sound anything like the D800). I had a TD650 and it's one of the few amps that I've moved on and would happily have back. And there's a Mesa MPulse 600 on eBay at the moment which would be another great option if you don't mind an old fashioned power amp - I've used one for a while and they're great if you want the Mesa brand.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit that Fusion was posted up last night and I was semi interested, The EBS I’ve heard lots of positives about as well and that had caught my eye also - there’s a couple of EBS amps at The Bass Gallery that I’d looked at but again, I’ve never tried one and don’t know anyone locally that’s used one either. 

I may have to do a bit of research and try a few I think😊

• Like 1

I’d tend to agree with Thodrik - an Agi TH might be worth a try. The Mesa will be very solid and will have its own flavour. I’ve been down a similar route and tried Mesa, Agi, Berg BAmp, EBS etc. all now gone but the DB750 remains. Yes, it’s too heavy (I’m on my third) but anything else is an alternative and not a replacement - as I’m sure you’ll be aware! I’d be thinking class A/B if possible - EBS might fit, though very bright IMO. A TE AH200 or similar might be worth a go too (very cheap now, though finding a non-noisy one can be a challenge). Good luck - there are some great amps in the posts above!

• Thanks 1

The DB750 is definitely, and shall remain number one - you're right it is heavy but just sounds immense, I've got a Trace RAH600SMX that I'm thinking of moving on, it's been a back up to my back up🤣 for a while now, incidentally the back up is a MarkBass F1 with a Sansamp GED2112 used for tone shaping - the back up sounds great and there's nothing wrong it.

It's weird, I've been completely GAS free in respect of amps until I joined the rock band, the DB has that covered completely, but somehow the GAS has returned?  Maybe I'll try the Tonehammer, but sometimes it's nice to have a bit of a change. 

My head says stop gassing but that's easier said than done🤣

I have a Subway D 800 and use it through two Barefaced Super Compacts. The combination of Mesa D800 and Barefaced has proved very versatile tonally for my needs. 

Provides a loud solution for Rock (Anthrax, Deep Purple, Bad Company), flexible for country rock covers (Eagles, CCR, and the like). Versatile with just one BF SC for pop & Jukebox covers.

Light, well built, runs down to 2 Ohms and very well centred EQ controls, deep switch that works! and great,silent  pre/post DI output.

Not cheap but will probably out live lots of the others mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a Subway D800 bought from a very nice gent on BC as l wanted one for a long time. Paired it with a bf compact for 2 rehearsals in our Soul band and never used it again and was sold soon after. I found it lifeless, lacking punch, depth and dynamics no matter how l set the controls. I was really disappointed with it. I bought an Orange Terror mk 2 and love it and then dropped on the best amp l have ever had the pleasure to play through....Handbox R400! I regularly use both amps and love them. The Mesa just wasn't for me though. My suggestion would be to borrow one if you can and use it at regular band volume and see how it fits/sounds in the overall mix. After all its very subjective...good luck with your quest mate.

• Thanks 1

As you mention, it’s all very subjective, it never ceases to amaze how one combination of amp and cab can be loved and hated in equal measure, depending on what the users ears tell them. For many years I used a Trace AH300SMX and 2 Peavey 4x10Tx’s and loved the sound you could dial from a Fender Jazz, I reproduced that fairly recently, as a friend has my old rig, I plugged in the same Jazz and just couldn’t settle with it (my back would’ve been thankful)🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went over to the D800 when they came out, was disappointed with its flexibility,  over my previous Markbass amp, and the GK MB500fusion i used, sold it and went up to the MESA 800+ which i still have for the extra flexibility but still feel the Markbass are better voiced and louder as a 500 watt to the Mesa 800 ??