Why become a member? ×

NYE - London

dand666

That's a tough one. Where are you coming from? My suggestion would to have a band member drive in early with the gear. Leave it somewhere secure at the venue overnight along with the vehicle and go back and collect it next day. 

Depends on venue obviously. 

We used to play a venue Friday Nights and Saturday Nights and leaving the large drums, hardware and amps overnight was fairly safe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimR said:

That's a tough one. Where are you coming from? My suggestion would to have a band member drive in early with the gear. Leave it somewhere secure at the venue overnight along with the vehicle and go back and collect it next day. 

Depends on venue obviously. 

We used to play a venue Friday Nights and Saturday Nights and leaving the large drums, hardware and amps overnight was fairly safe. 

Coming from South Coast! So need to be back late that night ideally.

Guys are going day early to setup the PA. So I'm going direct into the PA. Saves me taking a Cab. 

Just didn't know if anyone had gigged central at NYE before.

My son's band once took up a commercial offer from a company that picks up the band and it's gear and delvers them to the gig (including load in) and then picked the gear up the next day and returned it. I guess basicaly you're hiring roadies for the gig.

They got a very good deal as it was start up business I believe, with an introductory offer, and the the band and the gig were both in London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's on a boat on the thames >.<

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TimR said:

Hammersmith Bridge has been closed to traffic since 2019 as no one can agree on who should pay to fix it. 

• Like 1

It does put some people out, but means 10's of thousands of people can have a street party once a year.

The area closed isn't all of Zone 1, just the bit around the Thames where the fireworks happen. Is the venue actually within the closed Zone? If not, there are ways around it. https://www.london.gov.uk/events/london-new-years-eve-2022/business-and-residents-information-london-new-years-eve-2022

2 hours ago, steantval said:

It sounds an absolute nightmare, the powers that be who set all these zones and non entry regulations obviously do not even consider the complications it creates to the likes of dand666 and other working musicians.☹️

It’s to keep the crowds under control and people safe. Blame the amount of people that descend  on this small part of london. 
The authorities most certainly do take everything in to consideration but maybe musicians need to as well. It’s not a new system. 

32 minutes ago, TimR said:

Other bridges are available. That's just the one I used to use when going to Sussex.

Ah yeah, for sure, there are lots of other options (35 bridges over the Thames within London aparrently, and the blackwall tunnel) but drivers will have to avoid Hammersmith bridge for another few years while politicians faff about arguing who should pay to fix it (partly down to different boroughs either side of the river, TFL/London mayor, and national government all trying to shift the cost). 

The 4 road bridges closed and area of roads around Whitehall and South Bank for NYE shouldn't be much of an issue for drivers unless they need to be within that quite specific firework viewing street party area of London (and there aren't many live music venues around those bits, it's mostly government buildings and offices and tourist restaurants).

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1