Why become a member? ×

Fretless neck relief

Ralf1e

Bought Skinner's fretless bitza that was on here at the weekend with a view to stripping and oil rub finishing it. It needs a bit of neck angle adjustment.

Not a problem but before I proceed. Is the neck relief on a fretless generally the same as we put on a fretted bass or is something different recommended?

TBH  I've never had to set up a fretless from scratch before so thought it wise to ask.

Edited by Ralf1e

Yes - as above.  Basically flat but, because a backbow 'hump' is problematic, then a teeny bit of relief is confirmation that it doesn't have that issue.  It's actually the same for a fretted neck.

Also I have the bottom of my nut slot grooves flush with the fretboard so that the bottoms of the strings are just touching the edge of the fretboard.

Edited by Andyjr1515

I don't like mwah and prefer a conventional sound so I go with conventional settings: 0.3mm at the nut, ditto relief at the 8th fret with string held down at 1st and last fret position, and string height above the board at 12the fret marker of 2.4mm E, 2mm A, and 1.8mm D&G.

Edited by lownote