Why become a member? ×

La Bella Black Nylon -v- White Nylon

fretmeister

I found the white nylons to be a bit slippery compared to blacks. They also felt lower tension although that could have been because they weren't on the bass long enough to stretch and bed in. I tried them on a bass which had been fitted with blacks and decided I preferred the blacks.

22 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

What are the benefits of these strings? They make TI's look cheap, so there must be something.

I wouldn't call it a 'benefit'. It's just another flavour. The white ones can sound a lot like a roundwound that's just lost its zing, or closer to a flatwound if you turn tone down. They're smooth, so no finger noise, and very very flexible. 

I've never tried the Labella blacks, only black tapes from other brands so I can't compare.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 15:21, Chienmortbb said:

What are the benefits of these strings? They make TI's look cheap, so there must be something.

I mean, for me, partly the price is due to never needing to change them, similar to flats. When they go off, they do so in a really musical and toneful way. 
So really, you're saving money over roundwounds haha.

My experience of them has been very pleasing, I love how flexible they are, and they sound amazing on recordings and through an amp. What I will say, is that because of their very low tension, instead of finger noise, you do have to be careful of 'acoustic clatter' if you have a heavy touch. Either you have to be comfortable with adapting your approach, or already be a light-touch player. But if you can make them work for you, they're wonderful strings. Black Nylons much the same but without as much brightness, I've got a P strung with them all over the new Jocee recordings.....but unlikely to be released until 2023.

You can hear the Gold White Nylons on my active Lakland 55-01 (US Dual Coil Barts and NTMB Pre) on this track here: 

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2022 at 11:02, fretmeister said:

Anyone know if the black and white nylons have different tensions / flexibility?

I've put some Copper White Nylons on my Sandberg TT4 and I'm liking them. No finger noise but a tone quite similar to a roundwound.

Just wondering about the black ones for a different bass.

ta

I have a set of each on my Precisions. The whites feel as they possibly have a little more tension but not by much.

As mentioned in other posts, the whites are much brighter in sound than the mellow blacks.

Both sets are great strings!

• Like 2