Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Plus Jazz V neck problem. What should I do?

lewiswhitebass

I've recently purchased a new player plus jazz V from PMT. When it arrived i did a couple of gigs with it which were fine, I then took it to Ian at guitarworks.co.uk (who is awesome by the way)  to do a full set up on the bass as the action was a bit high for my liking.

He discovered an indent in the neck around the 10th fret which you can definitely feel, almost as if there was a chip and they sanded too much material off. Annoyingly its the sort of thing that once you feel it you can't unfeel it. My returns period with PMT has now passed so i'm going to try and return it under warranty. 

What should I do?

Lewis 

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

If you love the bass you’ll find a way! You could get your luthier to use filler or just get on with it. I have damaged all my basses in the end, not through recklessness of negligence, but use. Doesn’t affect my enjoyment of them. 

I know what you mean and I do see your point but as the bass was brand new you would hope for a neck that is nice and smooth. 

• Like 1

I find it interesting you mentioned gigging with it twice before someone else pointed out the problem. If you'd found the mark in a year's time would you have cared?  I must confess if I see a problem straight away - it's a problem. If I find it way down the line after bonding with it - it's character.