Why become a member? ×

Weird sound coming from bass?

Luk3smith

I’ve had an old squire jag bass for a while now and I’ve always had some sort of trouble but now I’m really scratching my head. When the bass is plugged in there’s a weird electronic noise that lasts for about 3 seconds then nothing- no sound from the bass. 

I would only assume it’s to do with the 9v battery? It’s a new battery though?

No loose wiring from what I can tell. Anyone had a similar situation? 

Do you leave the cable in the jack socket when you finish playing? That will run down the battery.

When you have changed to a fresh (fully charged) battery does the bass play/sound normal, at least initially?

It could be a bunch of things, but most are likely to be simple fixes. First suggestion is to use another cable if you have one. Then it’s time to take a look inside the control cavity of the bass in question. I am not familiar with the model you describe, but I’m sure somebody who is will be along soon to help you out.

Report back with any findings.

Just fitted another new battery and tried few cables- still the same issue. 
When I turn the amp on there’s the initial high pitch electronic squeal. Turn the amp off and on again and there’s no squeal a second time. 

The bass has a slight hum when running into the amp as if it’s ready to go, but no sound? 

Do you have a different bass you can try with the amp [1], or a different amp you can try with the bass? And if you plug the bass in to the amp but leave it for a short while before switching it on, do you get the same thing?

[1] If you haven't yet, and you stay on Basschat, you soon will have