Why become a member? ×

Help with decision!!!!!!

KinkMaster

Hello friends, once again I come to ask for suggestions, I have my pedalboard decided, and it is between analog pedals or a multi-effects, for analog pedals, orange bass Butler+Digitech drop+boss Tu2 and to play at home a zoom b3n, and the investment is more or less the same, as for a multi effects line6 hx stomp, pod go, or zoom b6, if on the one hand the first case (analog) works for what I want, on the other hand for the same money (approximate) I can have a multi effects!!!!!!!  what would be your decision and why??  I'm really in doubt.

Go with the pedals. You'll spend a ton of time trying to get one of the multi-fx modelers to do exactly what the Bass Butler & Drop pedals do.

That is the strength of dedicated pedals that do specific things very well, whereas the strength of multi-fx modelers is that they can do a TON of things pretty well.

This is not to say that the HX Stomp, for example, can't get you something very close (and only you could know), but it's a matter of time spent programming and testing.

Even if your budget were tripled so that you could entertain a high end modeler, there's the down side of time spent with the programming.

So IMO, based on what you're saying, spend the proper coin on the dedicated pedals and get down to making music ASAP.

This coming from someone who is a pretty hardcore multi-fx modeler user. Get what the gear that you know will deliver the goods.

Good luck! 

• Like 5

I suppose the next question would be, do you need amp/cab modelling, or just effects?

If you're just wanting effects into your amp, then it would be the HX FX every time.

If you do want amp/cab modelling, then you need to ask yourself more questions. How many effects do you need at one time? More than 3 per song, then the POD Go is out (have one myself, it's great, but limited). There are work-arounds, likes switching between patches/presets.

The HX Stomp / Stomp XL have most of the functionality of the Helix, but not the footswitches or connectivity. Loads of options though, parallel signal paths and lots of other goodies. Sure a HX/Helix user will be along to fill in the plus points.

Don't know much about the B6, but it'll have plenty of effects as well as amp/cab models, so loads to choose from.

Having been down the pedal board rabbit hole with guitar effects, it is a hit or miss affair, which can end up with serious serial pedal purchasing just trying to find the right pedals that work for you. Great fun, but a complete money pit, and you end up with a ton of pedals, associated boxes and other paraphernalia kicking about.

Edited by Skybone

… I initially got a Boss OC-2, then got a HX Stomp. Sold that and went the ‘Analogue’ route. I now have quite a few pedals and when I priced up a couple of my boards (I have a few now) they were around a grand each for one and more for another (if bought new). So as has been said before, it can indeed become expensive, however when it comes to resale I’d guess that in a few years time a decent analogue pedal will hold it’s value more than an old multi fx, well that’s what I’m hoping lol!

• Thanks 1

I used a Line6 HD500x before the POD Go, but had got to a point where I was considering individual pedals, or the POD Go (went through the same process going from the PODxt Live to the HD500x). Costed up choice pedals, tuner, a PSU, a board/case, patch cables, etc. and came to the conclusion that the multi-FX was the way to go for me. 

If you factor in that if you bought say 6 pedals, you may need to replace 2-3 because the original choices may not work out for you and be replaced. GAS plays a role too.

On 12/11/2022 at 19:22, KinkMaster said:

for the same money (approximate) I can have a multi effects!!!!!!!  what would be your decision and why??  I'm really in doubt.

I’ve been here. Looking for a holy grail that does everything… but Jesus. Much as I don’t GAS much over pedals (basses defo, then amps/cabs), a multi effects ends up feeling overwhelming. 

we’re bassists after all, and for me that sounds like tuner compressor octaver distortion fuzz chorus and maybe synth. I play much more with individual pedals than I do with a multi effects. 

I had the HX Effects and whilst it’s a great unit and relatively easy to use, I found all those options overwhelming, and once it’s set I forget about the presets etc. I know ‘set and forget’ is great for some but don’t you guys think it takes the magic away from playing with pedals?

Im back to building a mini pedalboard (nano) and will have, for my punk rock trio, tuner, compressor (with overdrive on footswitch), fuzz and distortion (with gate on a switch). IF my neosoul project kickstarts again I’ll remove the fuzz and distortion and add a keeley caverns (delay and reverb) or a chorus and reverb at most. I’m hoping it’ll work!

To my ears also good individual pedals sound more in your face and direct than multi effects. 

PS I’ve switched my amp head for an ABM 600 and I love it’s sound so much…! I feel normal pedals respect that base tone more than my ex HX Effects. 

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 1

If you know what you want and you’re not wanting a multifx for portability or experimentation then I’d go with the dedicated pedals. Especially if you can get them 2nd hand.

I love my gt1000core, so much fun playing with signal routing and fx I wouldn’t typically have access to, especially for guitar. For my core bass tone though my Model Fet preamp plus a good drive and maybe a compressor would be fine and less money probably!

• 6 months later...

Your dilemma between analog pedals and a multi-effects unit is a tough one. It's interesting how both options have their own pros and cons. If you're looking for versatility and a wide range of effects, a multi-effects unit like the Line6 HX Stomp, Pod Go, or Zoom B6 could be a great choice. They offer a ton of options in one package, giving you the flexibility to experiment and explore different sounds. On the other hand, analog pedals can provide a unique and distinct tone that some players prefer. The combination of the Orange Bass Butler, Digitech Drop, and Boss TU-2 sounds like a solid setup.To help you make a decision, I recently came across this cool website called FlipSimu. It lets you flip a virtual coin to help with decision-making. Maybe giving it a try could give you some clarity: https://flipsimu.com/

Edited by Entonboy
  • Like 1