Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal instead of Zoom B1 4 for home practice

Paolo85

Hi all, I have started playing again this year after a long gap and for the time being I am a couch player. I play through a Zoom B1 Four with headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M20) with jack adapter.
I have a probably irrational itch for a preamp pedal but I am trying to understand if the arguments in favour of it for it hold so I feel better with myself if I buy it.
The Zoom has served me well so far. I have no need for effects (although I can see the case for a compressor one day) and I like the dry signal so that's what I have mostly been playing with. Recently however I have started to play with amp simulators. Some have a response that beefs up the sound of my G in a way that is smoother than just eq-ing the dry signal. I also like to be able to adjust the gain as well as the parametric mids in some amps.
Still, overall the simulators available do not get me too excited. I find that mostly I lose some clarity.

I have started looking at the Nux Lee Davis preamp pedal. I have read that a dedicated headphone out sound noticeably better than plugging headphones in the standard out with a jack adapter
I like the default amp sound for what I have heard. Good clarity and fairly transparent as a starting point, while it still cuts high frequencies a bit. There are options to import different amps and cab simulators should I change my mind about the sound. It could be the first bit of my future rig when I'll have time for a band if I buy a poweramp

However, I would be disappointed to buy it (at double the price of the Zoom) and find out I am better off with my zoom at least for home practice.
I wonder if it is true that the sound with headphones should be better with the dedicated exit. I wonder if I should expect more of amp simulators in a £130 preamp pedal compared to a £60 effect pedal.
Has does anybody have any feedback?

Thanks

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Have a play with the Zoom's Tech 21 Sans Amp and MXR DI a-likes in a patch on their own... any good?

That was very good advice! On their own I preferred the dry signal as usual. But playing along with songs with foam (sponge really) to mute the strings as I normally do lately the Tech 21 worked absolutely great - leaving eq flat. I was not expecting that!

Not sure GAS is gone though :D

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Have you tried the Aphex Punch OptComp?.. The compressors... DBX D160 and D Comp (MXR) are also worth a little look.

I do not use a compressor at this stage but I will try them. It would be good to know that I have good options

If just Headphone practice I'd stick with the Zoom.

Nux has more outputs including DI, and headphones (no individual volume control to them though), and more hands on control so I'd probably go with that for live stuff if I didn't want the effects and Tuner drum loops etc. from the Zoom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a rare case of Basschat succesfully stopping an attack of GAS!

The Sansamp Bass Driver effect in the Zoom is just great, I can't get enough. I just blend a bit in (40-50% max) with the clean signal, maybe cut the treble a bit - or if I am using a mute, keep the treble flat and add a tiny bit of Presence. I really get a sound I love!

The only downside is that for some reason if I have the blend at zero I can eq the lows but mid and treble seemingly do not do anything... I wonder if it is a bug.

This is also an example of Youtube providing bad guidance. I really did not like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI preamp in comparison videos. Part of the problem is that many people leave the Presence knob flat for a basic sound, while I believe it is boost only

• Like 2